Patriotic July 4th Scrap Wood Star Wreath Alternative

When we built our log cabin, we had a lot of left over scraps of wood. I hung onto these small pieces of scrap wood for quite a while before the inspiration hit me to make stars out of them.
I glued the scrap wood into the shape of stars, attached red and blue pip berries, and american flag and a burlap bow to create a patriotic wreath.
I had 10 pieces of scrap wood and created two stars using five pieces for each star. You could also use wood shims, wood foot long rulers or maybe even paint stir sticks.
It took a little while to arrange them into the star shape. Then I glued each point of contact and used clamps to hold them until the glue dried.
I wanted the wood to look old so I painted on a homemade solution to age the wood. You can make this solution too by dropping a small piece of rusty metal into a gallon of vinegar for 24 to 48 hours. The vinegar will get a rusty milky look, then just paint it onto your unfinished wood to give it an aged/barnwood look. A rusty nail or two or even a rusty brillo pad works well for this.
I attached the decorations with floral tape and floral wire to the star.

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Adina Johnson @ Simply Country Life

• Deborah Giamalva

What is the wood length?

• Crafter

Home Depot will give you all the paint stir sticks you want. Just ask them!

• Jud5287888

Will the "wood stain" hold up to elements...for example on a deck??? Love the look!

• I have used this same mixture to "stain" my potting bench 5 years ago and it has held up great. It is directly in the elements, sun, rain and snow. You could always add a clear water proofing sealer after the wood is "stained" to add extra protection.

• Jean Reuss

approximately wide and how thick were your wood slats?

• Pat Titus

Ohhh my, i'm so glad I just ran into this posting, I have two wooden stars like these that I bring out at Christmas time, i decorate the stars and hang them on the metal staffs that you hang flower pots on, then I add a red bow them.

Now I can use them around the summer holidays also using red, white, blue and a flag!

Thank you for sharing!

• Gerri

I like the simplicity of this, I will definitely make this. Thank you for the great project.