Vintage Shutter Magazine Rack

$0

This shutter comes to me from my good friend and neighbor Anita who is sadly moving. She had a couple shutters and 2 old cabinet doors displayed on her walls for years but her new house is lacking in wall space. She thought maybe I could put them to good use. Gladly.

But now I find out that the shutters were taken off her family home years ago…they have sentimental value and they have a cool aged patina. I

vintage shutter magazine rack

Besides paint, glue, nails, screws and tools, you'll also need a super cool vintage shutter, scrap wood and a backing board that's a little bit wider than the shutter (I'm using a old louvred door for my backing).

vintage shutter magazine rack

Cut off the top half of the louvred door and sand.

vintage shutter magazine rack

Cut the shutter so that both sides of the shutter are equal widths. This shows a cut of about 1/2" on one side. Cut off the lip on the opposite side and sand.

vintage shutter magazine rack

Mark and cut three sections of shutter so that each piece has a thick part (2 ends and the middle) and 4 slats.

vintage shutter magazine rack

With the 1/2" piece that got trimmed off, cut and nail onto your 3 shutter pieces to finish off the box.

vintage shutter magazine rack

This is not the same scrap wood I showed you originally, but that piece was all  the way upstairs and here I was sitting next to this perfect sized 2×3 which will work nicely to elevate my mail slots.

Cut three 2×3 ‘s the same height as the cut shutter pieces.

Mark a diagonal from corner to corner, cut and sand.

vintage shutter magazine rack
vintage shutter magazine rack

Use glue and finishing nails to attach the shutter pieces to the 2x3 triangles.

vintage shutter magazine rack

The backing was painted to go better with the chippy goodness of the shutter and the magazine slots were screwed on from the back.

I was lucky to have all my supplies already on hand so I made this with no additional out of pocket costs.

If you would like to see how I finished the backing and lots more pictures please click on the link below.

If you have an old shutter and don't know what to do with it I have a gallery of 26 additional upcycled shutter projects you can find here.

http://scavengerchic.com/upcycled-projects-category/

• Paint  (craft store)
  • Shutter and louvred door  (mine were given to me but check out architectural salvage yards and flea markets)
ScavengerChic

• Cinbtown

Where is the picture of the finished magazine rack?

• ScavengerChic

All the answers are correct. If you'd like to see more photos of the finished project click on the link to my blog.

• B

Where is picture?

• ScavengerChic

Picture? The last picture is the finished magazine holder. If you need more photos make sure you click on the link.

• Taf

This is really clever way to transform a shutter. I love the end results. Great job.

• Sherry

I'm inspired! Very clever use of old shutters. Cute cute cute!💚