How do I get rid of kudzu?

+5

I have it on my farm and it’s getting crazy.

help!

• Betsy Betsy on Oct 21, 2018

Hi Ber: Is it on your trees or in your grass? Most of the recommended herbicides may injure or kill most tree saplings if sprayed on the leaves or on green bark. The safest approach is to manually remove vines from saplings and then direct the herbicide spray away from the saplings and onto the kudzu. Get a product called ground clear, it kills everything! Then, put some in a small can and paint the undersides of the leaves with this, using a small foam brush. Be sure not to get the ground clear on anything else. The plant will take the poison to the roots, through the leaves, and kill just this plant - if you are careful not to get the ground clear on anything else. You can use this method on any plant you want to get rid of. If you are worried about the leaves touching your other plants, cut the unwanted plant short, leaving several leaves, paint the leaves with the ground clear and then cover it with a plastic bag and secure it to the ground. That way, even the wind won't blow the poisoned vine onto your other plants. Good luck with this, invasive plants are the worst! If it's in your grass, you can put plastic wrap under the leaves, spray the undersides of the leaves and then wrap tightly so the liquid doesn't run out. After a few days, the plant should die. Or, you can use a zip type bag:)

If you are, or you know someone who is, diabetic, ask for one of their used needles, fill it with the ground clear and inject it, in a downwards direction, directly into the vine. Then, be sure to dispose of the needle properly and don't touch the needle part because you may get some of the poison ivy oil on you. Good luck

• See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Oct 28, 2018

I think that digging won't get rid of all of the roots. I'd go with the ground clear, it will kill all the way to the roots and the roots. In the winter, plants aren't doing much, unless stuff is still growing where you are, then go ahead. You can cut it back now and try the ground clear, but definitely do it in the spring.

• Just kris Just kris on Oct 21, 2018

Taupe

• Jeanette Jeanette on Oct 21, 2018

Would this stuff kill the rampant ivy taking over my yard?

• Elisabeth Karlsen Elisabeth Karlsen on Oct 22, 2018

I would recommend finding someone with a herd of goats or sheep nearby. Animals seem to love kudzu, and will have it under control in no time.

• Jlnatty Jlnatty on Oct 22, 2018

This USDA article has interesting information in it. https://www.ars.usda.gov/news-events/news/research-news/2016/a-faster-way-to-get-rid-of-kudzu/

I also recommending checking with a local university system or your state university system to see if they have an extension program near you that could provide valuable information and possibly even assistance in your battle to wipe out this invasive monster "ground cover" that smothers and kills everything in its path. You for sure will not have a farm if this pest weed succeeds in taking over.

• P P on Oct 22, 2018

The Japanese eat it - find some recipes & start cooking - BEFORE you put weed killer on it! The homeless shelter might enjoy kudzu cooked even if you don't! I THINK they use the rhizome or root!