How to get a moldy smell out of the washer and dryer ?

OlivaLynn SorrellPat
+8

Every time I do laundry my towels have a faint smell of mold and I don’t think it’s the washer I believe it the dryer and I do use softener

• Oliva
    Oliva

Fabric softener can cause a film on your dryer drum and washer. Wash them out using a microfiber cloth and safe cleaner, rinse and wipe dry. Run your washer through a cycle, using only distilled white vinegar.

Instead of commercial fabric softeners, purchase 6 felted wool dryer balls. They will make your laundry as soft as fabric softener, without worrying about your machines developing a smell. Be advised that when using new felted wool balls, it's best to wash them in hot water then dry on high heat. They will soften articles more with subsequent usage.

• Oliva
      Oliva

You will love these felted wool dryer balls. You can make them yourself, if you have time, but you must use only all wool yarn that can be "felted". Avoid wool/acrylic yarns and any with nylon.

The dryer balls will last a minimum of 5 years and save you a great deal of money in fabric softerner costs. Some people add a drop of essential oils, but it's not necessary. You'll be surprised how well these work. Your laundry becomes softer and towels are so much more absorbent, without added chemicals. Even sheets come out of the dryer with no need to iron!

• Pat
    Pat

How far does your dryer vent run before it goes outside? If it’s a ridiculously long distance like mine, you probably need to get it professionally cleaned out every 2 or 3 years like I do.

(I think someone was under the influence when they designed my house! The exhaust from the dryer has to pass thru 2 right angles to get down into the 20 foot long venting that’s in the concrete slab — and then another right angle going straight up to get to the outside world.)

• Alisa Lyles
      Alisa Lyles

I am so feel for you !!! But no it’s a very short distance maybe a couple of feet if that. I have read to soak towels in water and vinegar squeeze as much out then put the towels in the dryer and run and to do that a few time if needed and now that I want to try it I can’t seem to find it on the site I reader it on, so any ideas ?

• Pat
    Pat

Do you leave the door open on your washer between loads and after you are done washing? That allows the washer to dry completely preventing mold from getting under the rubber gasket. My front load washer has a clean cycle on it and says to use a cup of cloryx in the dispenser tray and run an empty load.....no odor and only have to do it every two months or so. Have not had any problems with my dryer smelling like mold.

• Alisa Lyles
      Alisa Lyles

Yes we leave door open between loads on our top load washer which also does have a clean cycle on it and I do clean the washer with vinegar or bleach periodically, I really believe that the smell is coming from the dryer only cause the clothing item that does not get dried don’t smell

• Pat
    Pat

Have you tried dryer sheets?

• Lynn Sorrell
    Lynn Sorrell

Clean inside the lint trap area(pull out lint trap and use dryer cleaning lint brush) and the dryer hose that runs to outside take the clamps off and clean it out(you should do this regularly anyway can cause fires). fabric softener causes more lint to get stuck and it may be musty smelling.I use vinegar in the rinse cup for laundry it's a natural softener maybe you could wash some towels like this and put them in dryer and see if they smell when they are dry. I also quit using fabric softener because of the build up in dryer. I use Woolies dryer balls they help with static from lanolin in wool and I put real essential oil on them if I want scented laundry like lavender in my bedding.Leave your dryer door open like washer

• Oliva
    Oliva

Alisa,

Have you cleaned the dryer drum? Better Homes and Gardens and Angie's List websites have articles addressing how fabric softeners can cause a film build up on dryer drum and in some cases impede dryer efficiency/operation.