Hiding An Ugly Utility Meter

$40
1 Day

As we are re-siding our house from a pale yellow vinyl siding to a new "greige" (gray with brown tint) something had to be done to update or hide the utility meter.

Repurposing old vinyl shutters, the eyesore actually became a deck focal point.

All I had to buy was paint and hardware!

I had exterior paint mixed to match our new siding and painted the meter and pipelines. (Today's technology is amazing. I took a small piece of the siding to the paint department and had them match it.) It's perfect.

So I considered building a "box" around it by framing it and attaching the new siding to it. Along with that idea, it became more complicated, such as hinges and doors, like a cabinet. The more I thought about it, the heavier the build became. It was not my intention to take two people to move it when needed to do so.

That's when I decided to go "light" with something that can just be pulled away. Like these plastic or vinyl shutters. They were trash, on the side of the road, that I originally intended to paint and use on my garden shed. Being weather resistant, this idea should be a perfect solution.

The shutters alone would be too flimsy so it needed to start with a frame. Two iron fish tank stands, cut away to fit with the pipelines and welded together was the perfect width and height for the framework. Strong enough to withstand snowfalls and heavy enough to not get blown way with high winds.

And they were cheap. One was free and the other a $5 yard sale find. 

Then, all I had to do, was measure the height, cut the shutters, and attach them together to box in the deck monster. Testing the look after cutting the shutters, it was looking good so far.

I drilled holes through the sides of the shutters to attach them together with nuts and bolts. Finally, cleaning and painting! 

For the top of the unit, I chose to use ceramic floor tiles attached to cement board. It too, will stand up to weather conditions. 

They were leftovers from another project. I also painted the floor tile for the top of the unit. 

The ugly meter is finally hidden. In fact, the new "cover" doubles as a side table! The "meter disguise" can just be pulled away and the tile top can be lifted off anytime with ease. It can rain and snow all Mother Nature wants. The materials can take a beating.

Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspirations

• PGC

What type and brand of paint did you use on the shutters? Can you post a pic if the tiled top piece?

• Jim

Are meters are read by an employee with binoculars from a distance for convenience and personal safety from pet attacks. Wouldn't this violate municipal laws ? Pop

• Debbie Kuhar

From Pennsylvania here. We pick our own providers for electric. Interested in your question?!

• Window

Did you have to get permission to paint the gas lines and box? And was it a special paint? Generally the are meant to stand out so they can easily be seen in an emergency like a house fire or gas leak. Especially at night.

• Gail Teel

Really nice but we wouldn't be allowed to do this either. Homeowner's rules.

• Rebecca Gaines

Very nice!

• Birdy

In our city you are fined if you conceal your meter. The city meter readers need to be able to find them and read them quickly.