What can I do about my large driveway?

OlivaJosieburns7Nancy Turner
+16

We have a Chicago Brick Driveway. I say it looks like it is falling apart my hubby says that is the way it is supposed to look. What can I do about it?

• Can you post a photo?

William

Yes a photo would help.

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

Call a driveway co and get their opinion

• Ana Bacallao
    Ana Bacallao

A photo would help. I can tell you that my son's patio is done with Chicago bricks and he does pressure clean it at least once a year.

• Oliva
    Oliva

If you mean that the bricks are uneven, it's due to ground heave. Perhaps there was insufficient gravel below the bricks. Actual bricks are first to freeze, last to thaw. Being a concrete/clay product, they dislike being treated with salt products in winter, which eventually erode the brick. You may wish to seal the brick, if that's an option, but it usually needs redone every 3 years, and sealed brick tends to be more slippery.

• Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

One of my neighbors has a brick driveway dating to the original build of the house. There are cops in the driveway from driving cars up it all these years, but that is part of the beauty of the old style. We even still have one roadway made of bricks in one of the oldest neighborhoods in town. The residents are so proud of it that they let the city do maintenance on it, but not tear it out. They even pay for the repairs so that the city won't rip it up.

• Josieburns7
      Josieburns7

I know the towns with the brick road do tend o be pretty. But my driveway does not look like those towns'.

Thank you.

Jo Burns

• Josieburns7
    Josieburns7

Here are the photos you requested. They don't show the broken bricks and all the messed up pieces, but maybe you can see how "not nice" my driveway is looking?

Jo B.

• Josieburns7
    Josieburns7

There are a lot of broken and chipped ones.

Any way to help those? I guess I just have to replace them all, huh? There are an awful lot

of them.

Thank you very much. You helped a lot

Jo .

• Oliva
    Oliva

Hi, Josie,

Just a thought, after seeing your photo...

Do your pavers have any polymeric sand between them? Once cleaned, filling with polymeric sand, compacting with vibrating pad then applying water may help fill the voids to prevent any dirt filling the spaces.

• Josieburns7
      Josieburns7

Yes they do. Where would get this

vibrating pad? Do they rent them out? Thank you for this terrific hint.

• Oliva
    Oliva

Hi, Josie,

Tool rental centers and some independent hardware stores rent out vibrating compactors. You'll need to make multiple passes for best results. Wear anti vibation gloves if you can, and ear protection, as well as safety glasses.