How to Clean a Self Cleaning Oven

We have had a lot of readers ask how to clean a self cleaning oven without using the self cleaning feature and here is our response!
This is in response to all the questions we got from the post how to clean bettween oven glass. You can find that post in the link below.
First, I recommend using baking soda to clean the inside of the oven. By making a baking soda and water paste you’ll be able to get the grime off your oven without any extra heat.
Having a self cleaning oven is great because you can use the self cleaning feature when you want to, or need to, but you can also clean it by hand when you want to avoid smelling up your house.

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
Anna M

• Ade22793440

I also forgot to remove my racks and they are "ugly" now....what can I do at home w/o taking them to a business who refinishes...or buying new ones? HELP..

• Her33223022

yes I would love to, but my question first is, will baking soda be too abrasive for the special coating in self cleaning ovens that makes them self clean? I baked in my oven and used aluminum foil to cover my pan and it fell and stuck to bottom of oven and can’t get it all off, I used the self clean and still didn’t come off. Will baking soda and vinegar be safe to use? If so do you know if it will work, if not will something else? Thank you in advance.

• RMK33423774

What do you put the 2 cups of water in? When you put the water in the bottom of your oven

• Penne Johnson

Gee you guys , I used my self cleaning oven feature 3 times yesterday trying to get all of the spots off the bottom, and I had no smell at all. You have to use 2 cups of water in the bottom for my feature. Is yours the same. Maybe thats why I had no oder. I am wondering if putting vinegar in the water which has to be distilled by the way if it would damage the oven. Min is only 1 1/2yrs old and looks brand new. Also it didn't change my oven racks at all. I didn't take them out as it didn't tell me to. My oven is a new Whirlpool, so if anyone else has suggestions, I'm open.

• Penne Johnson

I forgot to mention that my new oven is electric as is my stove. Maybe this is why I don't have to remove my racks and have no oders. Still afraid to use the baking soda but wonder if vinegar in the 2cups of distilled water that I have to put in the bottom of mine would hurt it. Maybe someone has an answer to this. Thanks everyone.