My Patch of Blue Sky
My Patch of Blue Sky
  • Greensboro, NC

DIY Ikea Hack Bowl Using Wood Icing™, Chalk Paint® & Skinny Tape!

Looking for a fun summer project that you can do with the kiddos? This is perfect, and you end up with a pretty piece for your home OR a gift!
diy ikea hack bowl using wood icing chalk paint skinny tape, crafts, repurposing upcycling
I love this bowl for my kitchen table and on our guest bed to hold antique books or toiletries for a visitor. (These products are meant for furniture, cabinets, walls and decorative accessories, but not for use with food or outdoors.)
Supplies from WoodIcing.com or their retailers - Textura Paste, Tomato & Tree Bark Glazes, off-set knife, Emperor's Silk Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan. You will also need paint brushes, rags, sandpaper, skinny painters tape and stir sticks.
First paint two coats of Chalk Paint® and let dry. Then add some lines of tape as you like. Burnish down well. Using the off-set knife, trowel on the Textura Paste until the top is covered.
Let dry until barely wet and pull the tape off. Dry overnight. Sand lightly. Paint on three coats of Tomato Glaze, drying for a few minutes in between coats. Add one coat of Tree Bark Glaze and let dry completely. Done!
Love my grandfather's old books on the raw silk bedding.
And, for a great pop of color - on the kitchen table.

My Patch of Blue Sky

• Artemis

I have just the bowl for this. Thanks and it looks great!
  • My Patch of Blue Sky

Thank you Artemis. Love to see your project!

• Artemis

I've had this bowl for who knows how long and it was stained. I was about to get rid of it when I saw your post. I wanted to simulate a galvanized look, so I used Rust-Oleum satin nickel metallic paint and put two coats of Polycrylic on the inside to make it food safe (it takes about 30 days for the Polycrylic to cure before it's safe to use with food). The pattern that you see on the bowl was already there and it really came out after painting. Thanks again for the idea!