Here is the bed. The picture is from the ad. You can see the crack in the footboard. The side rails did not fit in the spaces made for them any longer so metal brackets had been added to hold it together. They were uneven and had to be fixed also, it was just a matter of measuring and reattaching.
Eastlake Bedset Makeover
I have always wanted an old antique bedroom set and stay on the lookout for one that is affordable. My limit was $250 and I had been keeping my eye out on local swap shop sites and Craigslist. Low and behold I found the bed and a dresser for $200. The ads pictures looked like it was in decent shape and stated that it really did not need a lot of work just a few minor things. Not! When I went to pick it up
Here is the dresser. Only one marble top was broke but the middle piece broke while transporting. It did still have all the original knobs. It also has a hidden drawer at the bottom.
There was a lot of the ornate trim coming off. I had to sand the backs because they were full of old glue. I cleaned the space and glued and nailed back together. Where there was loose pieces I completely removed, cleaned and reattached. This picture shows the clamp because it is holding the reinforcement pieces for the headboard. It is a very tall, heavy headboard!
Cracks! There were so many everywhere. I used wood filler.
Here is where a very large piece of the dresser mirror piece that had fallen off. I have to say it was in bad shape but I had most of the pieces so I was able to repair. I attached this large piece by using a smaller piece in the back that held the pieces together, I then used wood filler to fill in the gaps.
Here is the crack in the footboard. It was an easy fix as this piece did not bear weight it was just the insert wood piece. I removed it and put it back on pushing the pieces tightly together and then nailing down, again more wood filler.
This is the back of the headboard, more reinforcement needed. The backs of the headboard and dresser are full of reinforcement, but it did work out. The bed and dresser are very sturdy now.
I decided on a simple white paint. I did have to sand areas where veneer was peeling and I wiped off everything with TSP cleaner before painting. I use chalk paint and make my own. After looking at it painted white I just was not feeling it. I decided to use some dark wax to give it a little more character. When using dark wax make sure you seal the piece first, I used clear wax first. If you use too much dark wax or you don’t like it, you can remove it with a Mr Clean Sponge.
Here it is waxed. I used a chip brush to apply the dark wax. I did not put any dark wax on the ornate pieces that stuck out.
All finished! I love it so much! It fits in with my decor perfectly.
I am still looking for the right bedding. I was leaning towards a quilt set but I sure like the ruffle cotton white bedding. I am keeping this piece and hope it will be a cherished hand me down that continues for many generations. If you would like to see more of my work you can visit my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass