How to Clean a High Efficiency Washing Machine

One of our guest contributors explains how to clean an HE washing machine and gives some solutions to why there is a mildew smell, even after cleaning it!
Start by cleaning out the inside of the washing machine. Wiping down all of the inside of the wash basin.
Next clean the rubber seal. Simply pull back the rubber to expose what is hiding and growing underneath.
Using a spray bottle, soak the inner ring in undiluted white vinegar or bleach and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then, using a new rag that is soaked in white vinegar or bleach, wipe down the inner ring again. Then wipe the entire ring dry with a new clean, dry rag.
Finally clean and sterilize all the trays and outer parts.
For more pictures and instructions head over to the link for this post!

Anna M

• Armindo Pacheco

My problem with my machine is the dispenser for the fabric softener is always full don't empty during cycle Any ideas. ? Thanks.

• Robbie Sanders

I place a wash cloth over the top of my washer door when not in use. I slso use clorox on my white things. I am niw on my 3 front loader, have never had an issue with any bad odors. I have also, never cleaned the rubber or dried out the washer. Not sure ifbits because of the cloth on the door or the weekly use if clorox. Take ur pick.

• Bitsy trummer

I have always used baking soda and white vinegar for rinse, it must work because I have never a problem. It's a cheap solution.

• Shelly F

What people don't realize is most machines have a little access door on the front of their machine. Behind this door is a filter screen that needs to be cleaned out. Place a towel, or what I use is a lid a tote box that I slide under the edge of your machine where the access panel door is. This is to catch the smelly nasty water that will come pouring out when you unscrew the cap. Behind the cap is a filter basket. This filter basket will have a build up of soap and lint which prevents all the water from draining from your machine which will cause the nasty smell you are smelling. Remove the filter basket and clean it good. Reinstall the filter basket and put the cap back on the basket. Then run your machine with just vinegar and hot water no clothes. Once it is done remove the filter basket again and clean out any remaining gunk that was trapped in your machine because the basket was plugged up and not able to drain properly.