Transform Your Outdated Kitchen With This Stylish Update

$100
1 Week

A friend of mine wanted to update her kitchen cabinets. They were oak and she felt they were out of style.

Step 1: Clean

I used TSP and hot water to deep clean the cabinet. I wiped the outside of all the cabinets and the inside of the cabinet doors.

Step 2: Number Your Cabinets

This is one of the most important steps.

Write the same number on two pieces of tape. Place one piece of tape inside the cabinet and one piece on the door.

I used letters and numbers - "A" is for the upper cabinets, "B" is for the lower cabinets and "I" for the island cabinets.

Step 3: Remove Hardware and Hinges

Once you have your cabinets marked, removed all the hardware and hinges. Place the hinges into a zip lock bag.

Remove the doors.

For the drawers in this kitchen, the actual drawer fronts unscrewed from the drawers. Place the drawer screws into a zip lock bag.

Step 4: Lay Out the Doors and Drawer Fronts

In the garage, I laid pieces of plastic drop cloth onto the floor then I placed pieces of scrap wood underneath the doors to elevate them off of the floor. This will increase air flow when the doors are drying.

Place the doors with the back facing up.

Step 5: Fill Holes

I was replacing the hardware so

1 - I filled the holes with wood filler

2 - and sanded when they were dry

Step 6: Tape Walls

Another important step that you don't want to skip is taping off the walls around the cabinets. These walls had been recently painted so I used painter's tape made for delicate surfaces which is yellow.

Step 7: Prime Cabinets

2 - I used a 1/4" nap cabinet roller with this primer.

3 - To get into the seams, I also used a natural bristle paint brush

4 - I used the roller on the outsides of the cabinets too.

I applied one coat of primer and allowed it to dry 24 hours as per the manufacturer's directions.

Step 7: Paint

I used Valspar cabinet enamel for this project. By using this type of paint, you don't have to seal the cabinets. The enamel gives them a hard protective finish.

2 - 4 - I used the 1/4" nap roller and brush to apply the paint the doors and cabinets.

I applied two coats of paint allowing them to dry 12 hours between coats.

Step 7: Spray Hinges

The homeowner was changing the hardware to a nickel finish so I I applied two coats of spray paint to the hinges in a nickle finish.

Step 8: Distress

The homeowner didn't want a flat cabinet, so I distressed the cabinet doors.

1 - I mixed one part white paint with three parts water and mixed for a consistency of water

2 - I sanded the edges of the doors with fine grit sandpaper and removed the dust with a tack cloth

3 - 4 - Using a paint brush, I brushed the paint/water mixture onto the door

5 - 6 - then immediately used a soft cloth to remove most of the paint.

Step 9: Add the hardware

Once the doors were dry, it was time to attach the hardware

1 - Using a Kreg jig specifically made to drill new holes for hardware , I measured to find center

2 - then drilled holes for the pulls and knobs

3 - I used a hand screwdriver to attach the hardware

4 - and a power screwdriver to reattach the hinges

And here is the finished kitchen! Now scroll to the top and look at the before (I'll wait)

What a difference right? It looks updated and clean. And the homeowner loves the new look.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House

• Patricia Garwick

Where did you get the hanging light fixture over the Island?

• Cassity

Hi! With this project did you see the wood grain through the paint at the end? I have the same cabinets but I don’t want to be able to see the wood at the end. I watched another video that said I need to fill the grooves with wood filler? What do you think?

• Cassity

did the wood grain show through?

• Ann Dixon Satterthwaite

This is beautiful! You did a wonderful job! I have been thinking of how I might make a change with my kitchen cabinets too and you have given me some ideas that are much appreciated! Thank you so much!

• Betty Jo Gray

Awesome