Quick Cover for an Unused Bathtub

$40

Steph has a tub that she only uses for storage, never bathing! It's a great place for storing bathroom essentials, but it's an eyesore.

She came up with an idea to hide the storage without damaging the tub or limiting it's intended use.

Head to 3:33 in the above video to see the Fast DIY project.

Want to see our latest projects? Sign-up for our weekly newsletter  here!

quick cover for an unused bathtub

Yeah, it looks like a tub, but actually it's a giant storage space! We are going to make a hinged cover that can cover the mess, but can be opened if you wanted to actually use the tub.

quick cover for an unused bathtub

The first step was to purchase a sheet of melamine and have it cut at The Home Depot. We also picked up some iron-on melamine banding, a piano hinge, and screw-on bumpers.

quick cover for an unused bathtub

We made some further cuts at home. Melamine can chip so be sure to use a compatible saw blade. (That is a sheet of insulation foam that we always use underneath whatever we are cutting to protect the surface and blade of the saw.)

quick cover for an unused bathtub

Once the two pieces are cut to size, edge banding is applied to all sides. The banding is ironed into place with an ordinary household iron. A brayer is used afterwards to further help the banding adhere.

quick cover for an unused bathtub

This cool tool trims the banding so it's flush with the sides of the board.

quick cover for an unused bathtub

A piano hinge is used to connect the two pieces together.

quick cover for an unused bathtub

We used a piece of double stick tape along the full length of the small piece. This will keep the board in place without damaging the tub.

quick cover for an unused bathtub

We added these screw-in bumpers and felt circles to keep the weight of the board up off the tub jet controls (that circle button in the left of the pic).

quick cover for an unused bathtub

The last thing we did was add a magnetic doorstop to hold the board in place when open.

quick cover for an unused bathtub

Here's the cover in the closed position. The wall part of the doorstop can be used to hold a bathrobe or towel when the board is not in the up position.

Mother Daughter Projects

• Louise

What is a zero entry shower?

• Leslie

I believe it’s a shower that has no step up or down. We have one in our new home that was advertised as a Roman Shower - you walk into it with no step or lip to trip over.

• I have an even slightly larger (unused) bathtub which is rarely used. The tub is under a large glass block tile window. I have always wondered how to place some type of (sturdy) cover over it and make it a reading nook. It’s roughly 5’x4’. I like your idea with using a hinge. Have you ladies ever done anything like this?

• Kristenspan

Very nice. What color is on the walls in your bathroom please?

• Pip

A friend had to cover a rarely used tub in the home he shared with his elderly mother. She unfortunately fell into the tub. He used a sheet of plywood but this would have been such a nicer look.

And yes I would do this in my home. Great idea!

• Linda

Or you could just keep a pretty shower curtain closed all the time. Works for me.