Quick Cover for an Unused Bathtub

$40

Steph has a tub that she only uses for storage, never bathing! It's a great place for storing bathroom essentials, but it's an eyesore.

She came up with an idea to hide the storage without damaging the tub or limiting it's intended use.

Head to 3:33 in the above video to see the Fast DIY project.

Want to see our latest projects? Sign-up for our weekly newsletter  here!

Yeah, it looks like a tub, but actually it's a giant storage space! We are going to make a hinged cover that can cover the mess, but can be opened if you wanted to actually use the tub.

The first step was to purchase a sheet of melamine and have it cut at The Home Depot. We also picked up some iron-on melamine banding, a piano hinge, and screw-on bumpers.

We made some further cuts at home. Melamine can chip so be sure to use a compatible saw blade. (That is a sheet of insulation foam that we always use underneath whatever we are cutting to protect the surface and blade of the saw.)

Once the two pieces are cut to size, edge banding is applied to all sides. The banding is ironed into place with an ordinary household iron. A brayer is used afterwards to further help the banding adhere.

This cool tool trims the banding so it's flush with the sides of the board.

A piano hinge is used to connect the two pieces together.

We used a piece of double stick tape along the full length of the small piece. This will keep the board in place without damaging the tub.

We added these screw-in bumpers and felt circles to keep the weight of the board up off the tub jet controls (that circle button in the left of the pic).

The last thing we did was add a magnetic doorstop to hold the board in place when open.

Here's the cover in the closed position. The wall part of the doorstop can be used to hold a bathrobe or towel when the board is not in the up position.

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Mother Daughter Projects

• Rebecca Barrick Mickelson

I have an even slightly larger (unused) bathtub which is rarely used. The tub is under a large glass block tile window. I have always wondered how to place some type of (sturdy) cover over it and make it a reading nook. It’s roughly 5’x4’. I like your idea with using a hinge. Have you ladies ever done anything like this?

• Carolyn

I actually saw it done on a design show YEARS ago so yeah it can be done! I can’t remember any of the details so Maybe try google or YouTube. Good luck!

• Kristenspan

Very nice. What color is on the walls in your bathroom please?

• Becky Collier

What the heck why would you not use that beautiful bathtub, seems like a huge waste.

• Sally-Charles Evans

Great idea! My son and his wife have a huge tub like this and they are shower takers too. Their tub is a laundry hamper.

• Josal Docimo

I saw this project from you a while back & it really got me going. I must admit I stole your idea but did not make it at all like yours because I have limiting physical abilities & wanted me to be able to undo it if I needed the tub for company. I did mine with 2x4s & can dismantle it in minutes. Thank you so much for your ideas & help