How to get black burned on food off copper bottom of pan?

+6

I have tried baking soda and ketchup. Don't want to scratch. Other than outside bottom, it's like new. Do you have a different suggestion? Has anyone tried oven cleaner?

• Betsy Betsy on Oct 26, 2018

Hi Edie: Here's what I do, and it works great on all surfaces: What I use is a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (the dry stuff). Make a paste and put it on the gunk. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then scrape off with a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to do it a couple of times if the gunk is thick, but usually not. If it's a copper bottomed pot, finish it off with Barkeepers Friend. Good luck.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Oct 26, 2018

Elbow Grease & Comet on my stainless/copper bottom Revereware pots & pans and a green scrubber sponge doesn't hurt them,if my daughter burns something on them I put pan/pot bottom in big bowl or deep plate and just soak in water before scrubbing or put wet paper towel with dawn on them for awhile. It'll turn copper dark(dishwasher will too) but then I use comet or clay cleaner to clean off & shine them up they look like new after. The clay cleaner is called BioCleaner I use this on my Glass stove top,Stainless sinks,pots & pans & appliances,shower door,faucets it cleans shines,protects. It's the best ever. The clay cleaner won't scratch if your worried about that. Don't use the oven cleaner.

• See 1 previous

green scrubber sponge makes it easier

• Edie Edie on Oct 26, 2018

Thanks Lynn, I'll stay away from the oven cleaner. I have used the comet and well, elbow grease for days. The burnt areas are a thin black crust...won't budge! I know there is shiny copper under there!

• Chris Kugler Chris Kugler on Nov 01, 2018

Put the pan with the bottom into a second larger pan. Filk the lower Pam with water and a cup of vinegar and boil for 30 minutes. Then use the copper cleaner. It should come off

• See 1 previous
    • Chris Kugler Chris Kugler on Nov 03, 2018

Great