DIY Tin Roof Gazebo

$250
Advanced

Are you tired of replacing the cloth top. On your gazebo? Yeah, me too. It's annoying and expensive so I decided to come up with a more permanent fix. As y'all know once I get an idea in my head there's no stopping me. Like the time I made a DIY Pallet Fireplace in my living room where there wasn't one lol. I'm obviously not afraid of big projects and you shouldn't be either. This one just took some basic tools, easy to get materials, and determination.

diy tin roof gazebo

This is how it looked before... Please don't judge me haha. I know it was really bad.

diy tin roof gazebo

I started by covering all the roof supports with 1"x4" s so I'd have something to screw the tin into. I attached them using 1" Conduit Straps so I wouldn't have to drill into the hollow metal.

diy tin roof gazebo

After the wood frame was attached it was time to measure and cut the tin. I did this by laying each piece on it, striking it, and cutting it. If you're good at geometry and can do it just by measuring... More power to you lol.

diy tin roof gazebo

Also don't worry if your corners don't match precisely. Cut the left over metal long ways about 4 inches wide the height of your roof to create channels. I've highlighted what I'm talking about in the photo above. Once the channels were on it was complete and time to decorate. I absolutely love how it turned out.

diy tin roof gazebo

This entire project took me 3 days and all the sore muscles in my legs to complete, haha. If you'd like to check out the full more detailed tutorial follow the link below

Stacey @addisonmeadowslane

• C

I live in SW Arizona. I’m wondering about heat and if you paint, won’t the sun eat the paint off? 120 degrees in the summer and we have no trees for shade.

• April Rose Sharp

I was hoping someone would ask so I didn't have too. In my list of materials at the top, instead of a picture of wood. I have a picture of car seat covers (not joking). When I click to bring up the wood, it actually takes me to the car seat covers on Amazon. Anyone else seeing or having this on the materials list??

• April Rose Sharp

In your project instructions you don't say anything about how the metal frame is secured to the ground. I know in the picture it can be seen. The post of the gazebo is on concrete. Can you please give us the information on how your metal post is secured. Not everyone has there gazebo sitting on concrete. Can you give ideas on how to secure the gazebo so it will not fall over because of its weight or wind?

• Jami Stafford

I like the Rustic Tin look, but I also like the suggestion of Painting the tin a nice color for cooling or just for a nice color pop to match the Shutters and trim on the House. In my case, I’d paint the tin a dark berry red color (same color we chose for our Doors & Shutters) and if room for a trim color, I’d paint that a Med gray color! I could get really creative with the painting of this top by using the gray with a mason jar creating gray circle pattern on the red! This would be so very cool and absolutely unique!

I do also really like the Rustic Tin look as well! One could also do a faux weathered copper look to it!?

• C

Next question, I see you adding the flashing with the whole gazebo tin roof top on the ground. How many men did it take to lift it back into place on top of your frame?