How to clean vents going outside of microwave. ?

+5

My microwave is making a loud noise. . My son said it was not the motor. .it is vented outside. .we looked at the vents outside they are fill with grease. .anyway to clean without removing whole microwave over stove ? I have had it twenty years. .I never thought about cleaning the outside vents. . I already tried a dry tooth brush. .didn't do much. .such a small opening to get hand in . Any suggestions. Would be helpful . Thanks. .

• Dwp7470b Dwp7470b on Oct 26, 2018

Degreaser and Q Tips

• B B on Oct 26, 2018

Small vacuum tube for dust etc and or a bristle bottle brush wet with vinegar and baking soda?

• Jan Clark Jan Clark on Oct 27, 2018

Sweetie, a 20 year old microwave is past it's prime. And I don't mean that is isn't working properly. New technologies and materials have made this hazardous appliance much SAFER than it was even 10 years ago. It is time to start looking for sales and saving up for a replacement. Exposure to microwaves over a period of years isn't a good thing. I use mine sparingly and never stand in front of it when it's on. If it's too much trouble to clean it, get a new one. The doctor bills you save will make it a good investment.

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 01, 2018

Hi Betty: First thing, unplug the microwave. Then, look for screws that hold the shell on, remove those and take off the shell, it will probably slide off towards the back. You should see the area that needs to be cleaned. Use cleaning vinegar (the dollar store carries this) and paper towels and Q-tips. Clean it all up, put the shell on and Bob's your uncle. Taking the shell off will not do anything but show you the insides, and should not be critical to your health. Any dirt or grease you see, clean it off. On the other hand, it could be that your microwave isn't on something level:) Finally, get one of those food covers to use in there and use it always. The dollar store has those, too. Make sure everyone uses it. Get a couple, they area only a buck. Good luck

• See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Nov 02, 2018

Hi Betty: They are so inexpensive, relatively speaking, that it just might be best to get a new one. When I bought my first microwave from Highland Appliance about 50 years ago, I was so impressed by the things it could do! They were pretty expensive then, and the salesman, Skip Skully - still remember him:) - told me not to buy one with all the bells and whistles because I would never use them and a standard one, 1,200 watts and large enough for a turkey, would be my best bet. I wanted the bells and whistles, but took his advice. He was right, all I did was heat things up, make popcorn, defrost stuff and cook some things. So, don't go all out, get one at least 1,200 watts, otherwise you can't do much with it but make popcorn. And, it's not a Christmas present, it's an appliance! So tell hubby he can nip that in the bud! :) Good luck. And, the barter system is still in place! If you find one you like at one store for say just for example, $100 and another store has it for the same price, ask if they can come down some as you can get it at store 1 for the same thing. They usually will come down a bit. Then, tell store 1 what store 2 offered and they should come down in price too. Get the prices in writing, also. But, don't tell one other store what the other one is offering. I love doing this and sometimes save $50:) If they say they can't come down any more, ask what else they can offer. And, never buy the insurance, stuff rarely breaks down within the first 5 years, just after the insurance runs out! Good luck and have fun:)