When Good Projects Go Bad

$20

I don't craft often, but when I do, I usually fail. Exhibit A: my first (and last) mason jar craft.
Hanging Mason Jar Planters: Good in concept.
Okay, blame it on PInterest. Pinterest would have you believe that everybody and their mother has a mason jar (or two!) which, through the magic of spray paint or hot glue or colored sand or just pure freakin magic, has been transformed into a soap dispenser. Or a vintage photo holder. Or a chandelier. Or a working life-size model of the Millenium Falcon. And that the transformation TOOK LESS THAN 10 MINUTES! and was SO EASY! that a busy mom of three could do it one-handed while she simultaneously studies quantum mechanics, all without messing up her hair.
So. I thought: I built a WHOLE KITCHEN! (http://www.sarahsbigidea.com/2014/05/the-kitchen-reveal/) Surely I can put stuff in a jar and hang it on a wall!
And I was right. For four days. And then this happened.
Sad trombone.
Sad trombone.
Mason jar craft FAIL.
Mason jar craft FAIL.
But! It's still kind of a cute project, and it was really was SO EASY! and SO FAST! that I'm going to tell you how I made them. Maybe you can solve the dead-flower problem with Pinterest's other unhealthy obsession: succulents.
I started with some rocks, 3 mason jars, picture wire, a pliers, and some annuals I picked up at the garden center.
Supplies needed to fail at mason jar crafting
Step 1: Cut a length of picture wire that is 4-5 inches longer than the circumference of your mason jar's neck. Use the pliers to twist the wire tightly together around the neck of the mason jar. Then twist the very ends of the wire together, forming a loop.
Twist the picture wire into a loop.
Twist the picture wire into a loop.
Step 2: Add about an inch of rocks to the bottom of the jar, then manhandle the poor defenseless plant into position. Add a little potting soil if necessary. Then give it a little water.
when good projects go bad, crafts, flowers, gardening, mason jars, succulents
Step 3: Screw a screw hook into the wall (using an anchor if necessary) and hang your planter using the wire loop.
Step 4: Stand back and admire your craftiness.
Hanging Mason Jar Planters
Hanging Mason Jar Planters
But you better admire them while you can. Because if your thumb is as black as mine, you've only got about four days. ;)
Sarah's Big Idea

• Marijke Hauwert

Inspired yes, but my question is, did you overwater them, if so then they have rootrot. When I look at them they surely were overwatered. And no fresh air circulation , I have one advice knowing they are glass jars (almost impossible), but I would have drilled small holes just above the grit and soil. Does that idea make sense???

Sorry for my bad English but I hope you understand my explanation, greeting from Holland Marijke

• Jane

You can buy artificial succulents that look real.

I enjoy mine!