Trash Bench

$20
3 Months

I found this gem on the side of the road. Yes it wasn’t pretty but definitely had potential. It was missing a side rail. Easy fix right? And of course I can just take my sawz-all to the ratten seat and replace it. I loaded it up and left it for a couple of months. It has been rained on numerous times. I even thought about throwing it away a couple of times. FINALLY I got off my rear and went to town on it. I cleaned it up with some vinegar and wiped it down really good. I left it to dry a few hours and took my hand sander and used 120 grit to sand off the rough spots and help paint adhere to it. It was black and I thought I probably need to use primer. I didn’t though. After sanding I measured where the side bar was gone and replaced it. You can see it in the photo below. All is used was my jig saw to cut the piece and a few wood screws to make it stay in place.

Before

Side piece replaced. After replacing I thought I don’t have to cut the ratten seats off it unscrews. So I removed those.

I added some extra support to the bottom with random pieces of wood I had in the barn. I painted it with the color cashmere chalk paint from heritage collection. Definitely no primer needed. The photo your looking at below was the first coat.

After this coat dried I was regretting not using primer.

I got frustrated and left it over night.

the next day I had faith in this little piece and measured some 1x4’s I had on hand and cut them with my jigsaw. It was looking better. After I cut all 8 pieces I was feeling it. I went ahead and made sure the fit. Then sanded them with 40 grit then moved up until I got to 220 grit and they were nice and smooth. I then stained those boards using minwax stain in special walnut color and left them to dry. I finished painting the bench until I had the coverage I liked. I believe it ended up being three coats.

All done and sitting in my hallway. I love it.

• Sand paper sander wood screws 1/4 boards stain chalk paint  (Amazon Walmart lowes)
  • Wood boards chalk paint stain wood screws bench frame sandpaper  (Most products Online)

18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper