Susan Davia
Susan Davia
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Colorado Springs, CO

Kitchen Window Replacement

$260
1 Day
Advanced

I hated our old kitchen window and it was far from energy efficient as well...we nearly doubled the window size with the new energy efficient window...

kitchen window replacement

Before: the old window.

kitchen window replacement

we removed all the screws both inside and outside that held the window in place.

kitchen window replacement

Whoever put this old window in did not bother to make sure the window would fit properly...on the top it was snug but on the bottom it was 1/4 inch away from from the framing......this also explained why it always cold.

Time to remove the old window....

kitchen window replacement

now the real work begins...after removing the siding off the exterior the guys started to rebuild the framing for the new window including building a header to support the window properly....the old window apparently had no top header at all....

kitchen window replacement

once all the construction part was done the guys put the insulation and siding back....

kitchen window replacement

the new framing is now ready for the window....and I took extra measures to protect my faucet...

kitchen window replacement

the guys applied the Vycor Plus Adhering Flashing

kitchen window replacement

and then slipped the new window in and secured it....

kitchen window replacement

while the guys applied the window trim outside I worked on the window trim inside

kitchen window replacement

using 1"x 3" smooth pine and a couple of medallions,I framed the window out and painted it a high gloss white...

kitchen window replacement

all done and now my kitchen is flooded with sunshine....I can easily open the window and with the larger window,we get more fresh air in the house.

• Window  (home depot)
  • 2"x4"-weatherstripping  (had)
  • Trim,chalk,medallions  (home depot)

• Susan Davia

thank you.....has been a busy summer/fall...glad to be done for this year.

Looks Great! Most windows are installed with a slight gap around to assist in leveling and plumbing the window in the opening. Even old windows. The gaps are then filled with insulation and now a days spray foam. I have installed tons of windows in new construction and replacement windows in newer homes. Looks great and a larger window brightens up the space.

• Susan Davia

on the top it was snug,bottom a big gap...no foam of any kind was sprayed in....on the inside they trimmed it out with multiply layers of 1/8th thick board to hide it.....also as I mentioned,there was no headers in place of any kind...just a hole they shoved the window into. this is our 5th window,(still have 2 to go) we replaced and each is properly framed out with headers