Add Trendy Bathroom Shelving Using an Old Wooden Toolbox

$12

I had found this old forgotten toolbox at a garage sale and just knew I had to have it, even tho I didn't know what I was going to do with it at the time. When I got home, I scoured the internet for inspiration. I saw a picture of a toolbox on the wall that was used to store books. Well, the only walls in my home that are empty are in the bathroom and the lightbulb went off! So here is the easy and quick project I did using that old forgotten toolbox.

I first cleaned it up very well using a mix of vinegar and water. After the wood dried completely, I sanded off all the old paint and stain. Then again cleaned it.

Once dried, I stained all but the sides with minwax dark walnut stain, my absolute favorite! The sides were painted a light blue/gray to match some of the decor I have in the bathroom. After 24 hours, I sealed the entire piece with matte polycrylic.

The next step is to find the studs in the wall or use anchors if drilling into sheetrock and hang your new stylish decor ❤ I used 3 screws total, 1 with an anchor, to secure it to the wall. Perfect place for those extra rolls of toilet paper and to hang a hand towel.

• Gail Layson

But where do I find an old toolbox like that

• El

How do I avoid brush marks. When painting

• Deer Run Revamps

Use a good quality brush meant for the kind of paint you are using. Apply in thin coats, sand with 220 grit sandpaper in between coats 😉

• Sandy Rolon

Love it but why not flip it to where the inside opening can be sectioned off or left alone to be used as storage, still place items on the top and the handle can still be a towel holder ... use its full occupying potential... this is mine at the front entrance...

• Janyche15

I agree ; screwing the bottom to wall gives you extra storage!

• Cindy Rubin

This is Fantastic. I DIY if I can but my Dad was a master carpenter. I have not had the heart to get rid of his old (now vintage) toolboxes.

I can imagine adding another toolbox above the one in this pic right side up to hold hand towels, lotions, soaps etc... !!!

• Sandy Rolon

I see, yours is longer on the sides than mine... both are functional and unique... And FYI, that was my Moms, she was the Ms Fix it around the house...LOL

• J

I have mine in the dining room with vintage tablecloths hanging from the handle and glass coffee pots on the top shelf.