How fo I remove fireplace soot/smoke?

+8

Hello. I have a stone/brick fireplace (1950's angel stone??) that has soot and smoke stains. Can anyone tell me how to remove this. Thanks. Will be greatly appreciated.

q how fo i remove fireplace soot smoke

Cause of the soot damage has now been corrected.

• Linda kelley Linda kelley on Oct 29, 2018

Have you tried a equal mixture of vinegar and water and a scrub brush? Scrub in circular motions, and have a bucket of water close to rinse off.

• Em Em on Oct 29, 2018

Cream of Tartar + Water In a bowl, combine about 2 tablespoons of cream of tarter and a bit of water to make a thin paste. More thorough cleaning than vinegar and water.

• Wayne Wayne on Oct 29, 2018

get a can of oven cleaner and a wire brush.

• Idaly7 Idaly7 on Oct 29, 2018

EASY--Love that (as long as it doesn't damage the brick/stone) .

• Connie Connie on Oct 30, 2018

TSP Tri-sodium-phosphate substitute, (actually it's equivalent). Available at hardware and home stores in the cleaning or paint area. Comes as a powder, mix with water as directed. Scrub brush it on and rinse with a spray bottle. Excellent and inexpensive for removing smoke film from walls prior to painting too.

• Leah Leah on Oct 30, 2018

KrudKutter full strength. Sray on let it set for a bit. Wipe off. Repeat if necessary. The soot sticks because of oily content.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Oct 30, 2018

I go with the TSP. Follow instructions carefully.

• Sandy Chance Sandy Chance on Oct 30, 2018

Tru Scrubbing Bubbles in the spray can.

• Amy Delmege Amy Delmege on Oct 30, 2018

I live in an Adobe home with an Adobe fireplace. Same thing happenes With mine. I wipe it down with wet wash cloth and Magic Eraser.And A Volia! Good as new! Even worked when I first moved in and elderly couple said they never had been able to get those soot stains off😳. ( we eventually painted and sproosed up the joint, )

• Maryl630 Maryl630 on Oct 30, 2018

I use Awesome from the Dollar Tree store. It works like a charm. Rinse the bricks off after using.

• Nancy Nancy on Oct 30, 2018

Build a very hot fire. Throw a cup of salt on the fire. That will burn the soot so it will just fall down on the fire.