How do I know whether to cut Dow my hydraenga now or in the Spring??

+6

We have 3 Endless Summer Hydrangeasthat barely bloomed all summer. (They have had many flowers in previous years.) Any advice on how to care for them over winter to get better results? Cut down now or in Spring?

q how do i know whether to cut dow my hydraenga now or in the spring

This is what it looked like all summer. The leaves were big and healthy, but we only got 6 flowers. The flowers were all underneath the leaves.

This is what it looks like after I stripped the dead leaves today.

The branches that had leaves this summer still have many buds.

• Endless Summer Hydrangeas bloom on old and new wood growth... but you probably would not want to prune them this late in the season. Read more here: http://www.endlesssummerblooms.com/design-and-grow/planting-and-care

• Cindy hurst Cindy hurst on Oct 29, 2018

I have cut mine down, last year & just recently. They came back this year. I had lots of flowers also

• Amanda Amanda on Oct 30, 2018

Hi Deb. I leave mine until spring. The endless hydrangea should not be trimmed after Aug 1. I have others that won't bloom next year if I trim them now. Good Luck!

• Moj13720471 Moj13720471 on Oct 30, 2018

You can prune any month with an R in it.

• LZ LZ on Oct 30, 2018

if you like the winter foliage cut them down in the spring. If you don't like the spring clean up cut them down in the fall.

Retired grounds keeper

• Shirley Shirley on Oct 30, 2018

You must find out which variety of Hydrangea you have. If it blooms on new wood you can prune in the spring or fall. It it blooms on old wood and you prune it down you will cut off all blooms for the following year. I have the old wood blooms type and I cut the old flowers off in the fall and in the spring I cut each stem down to a large two bud.

• Flowers Flowers on Oct 30, 2018

Trim after blooming time.

• Ili Ili on Oct 30, 2018

Deb, you know what kind of Hydrangea you have, now find out your gardening zone....It is true Endless would bloom in old and new canes, so probably the best would be to prune after blooming, but...since you did not do it, and now it is bare, go ahead a cut damaged/broken/dead branches but not much on the top....JMO