Jodi
Jodi
  • Hometalk Helper

Up-cycle Old Chairs, With a Little Chalk Paint

$60

So I had these creamy off white chairs in our Living Room. The Chairs were about 23 years old. We sat in our Living Room on the big Holidays when guest were over. So the chairs were in great shape, as they were hardly ever used. Other then a couple of stains on the arm rest and one chair cushion. I figured what did I have to lose?? I did not like the color of them anyway.

Before picture of the creamy white chair

This was something I had thought about for a while. I was afraid I would ruin the chairs. Hence my waiting so long to do this. Hubby placed one chair up at a working level. I originally painted the back of one cushion before deciding to go for it! See a couple pictures down for cushion photo.

Chair back as I started to paint top
Chair back as I started to paint top

Here I am trying to show where I was painting the chair back starting at the top with my light Grey Chalk paint. I had the paint made from a paint chip which looked good with the grey carpet in the room.

The painted cushion being touched up
The painted cushion being touched up

Here I just am touching up a couple of spots of the cushion. I did both sides of the cushion, allowing each side to dry before flipping it over. You can still see the fabric pattern.

Before to the right, finished on left
Before to the right, finished on left

What do you think? I am really happy with the finished project. However, I will tell you Chalk paint is $29.00 per quart of paint. I needed one and a half quarts or $60.00 worth of paint. So count on one quart per chair. I have read that some home talkers & DYI spray the fabric with water before painting the fabric. Others may water down the paint. It was thick, but I just used it straight out of the can. I think one could use wall paint or crafting paint as well. But I have not tried this at this point. I have recently up-cycled a painted lamp shade by painting the lamp shade with craft paint and love the finished shade so much.

Both Chairs painted light Grey
Both Chairs painted light Grey

I am pretty happy with how they look. This was a fast up-cycle for an updated look. Just a little pricey. But still less then slip covers, or replacement of the chairs. Would I do it again?? Sure would in a heartbeat.

• Chairs, paint brush  (had them)
  • Chalk paint is the color you want  (Lowes)

• Yvonne Davis

These are so very pretty. Love design of chairs also. I have a chair I want to do. How well does paint hold up on cloth furniture? Thanks so much for showing this.

1 comment
  • Wendy

The change is subtle but totally transforms the space!