Valerie Burge
Valerie Burge
  • Tutorial Team
  • Canada

Privacy Fencing Mini-makeover

$25

My deck has been neglected since we moved in 4 years ago. And because our dining room window faces into the privacy fencing for the hot tub, I just couldn’t stand the thought of looking at it for another winter! So I decided to do a quick and inexpensive update before the winter hits. I bought a can of paint and ‘shopped’ in our garage for cast off items.

privacy fencing mini makeover

Step 1:

I scraped the peeling paint off and removed screws and extra towel hooks that weren’t being used. There was one post in the back left that was taller than the rest, so I cut that one down to match the others using a reciprocating saw.

privacy fencing mini makeover

Step 2:

I painted the fencing stone grey.

There were only two of the decorative balls on top of the 4 posts, so I removed those and used old broken solar lights to add a glass ball to the top of the 4 posts.  

privacy fencing mini makeover
privacy fencing mini makeover

Step 3:

I screwed a couple pieces of vinyl siding along the back and added some wooden tulips and some other cast off items I found around the house and garden (a wooden cat, a ceramic bird and plastic mirrors).

It’s not as beautiful as I know it will be one day, but it’s a LOT better than it was. Well worth $25 and a few hours of my time.  

privacy fencing mini makeover
privacy fencing mini makeover
privacy fencing mini makeover

• Suzannewaz

Love the cat and the tropical bird peeking around the side. Ever think of painting the vinyl piece a bright contrasting color?

• Judi

I like the idea of pine or forest green as an accent. If you paint the quarter round on the bottom the same color as your other deck boards your eyes will go to your cute colorful arrangement. I love this!!🎈