Easy Shower Melt Steamers for Colds and Sleep

$2

Did you ever have that stuffy cold and need some sleep? These shower melt steamers will help. I don't know about you, but I love a warm shower when I have a cold. The steam from the shower does help, but these easy steamer melts will take it to a new level.

Here's what you need. 2 cups of Baking Soda, 1/2 cup of water, Eucalyptus Essential Oil, Lavender Essential Oil and a silicone cupcake pan or other mold. (you can tell that mine has been well used.) This recipe will make 12 Shower steamer melts in this mold if they are about 1/2" - 3/4" thick.

The first step is to measure 2 cups of Baking Soda into a bowl.

Next put 1/2 cup of water (I used cold water) into a measuring cup. Add the essential oils. How much you use will depend on your oils. I used 5-6 drops of Eucalyptus and 3 drops of Lavender but you might need more. Do a smell test to see if you have enough in the mixture. Mix them to blend with the water, then pour it into the Baking Soda. Mix with a spoon or even your hands until it's all mixed together. If your mixture seems dry, you can add a little extra water.

Divide the mixture into 12 portions, then put them in the molds and press them down firmly. Smooth the tops with your fingers. Don't worry if the tops aren't perfectly smooth. They will still work. Next put the molds in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F. and let them "bake" for about 20 minutes. Take them out and let them cool. Once they are cool, you can carefully take them out of the mold and put them on parchment paper to finish drying. You can actually use one right away, if you need one NOW. They will get harder though if you let them dry outside of the mold for another day.

Last step is to pop one on the drain in the shower. As the water gets to the drain, it will melt the steamer and release the Eucalyptus and Lavender scents to help clear that stuffiness and help you sleep. You can use soap coloring with these if you want some color, but don't use food coloring because it might stain your shower. You can use any silicone mold that you have to dress them up and give them as gifts. How simple is that for a great gift? I'll bet a teacher would LOVE these!

I put a price of $2.00 on these but I had everything on hand. If you have to buy the essential oils, of course, the cost would seem like more, but you can make a lot of batches with those oils. The price of essential oils varies so it's difficult to come up with an exact price. The same is true with the molds. I got mine at a garage sale 4/1.00 and have used them hundreds of times.

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!

• April Rose-Sharp

What brand of essential oils is the best?

I have never bought any of the oils before. I just wanted to know what brand is the best with a reasonable price? Also best store/website to purchase? Please everyone give me your opinion! Thank you so much!

• MaryAnn

April I get mine on Amazon for several reasons: 1) Amazon has a wide range of oils from many different companies, 2) they come in many different sizes, 3) they come in all different price ranges, 4) they are rated and reviewed by purchasers, so you can do a little research before buying. You don't need oils from the most expensive companies, just good, reliable, mid range, oils. You can buy the smallest size, get many uses and decide how you like it. Then if you feel you could do better, try another the next time. They also have what they call Amazon's Choice. It's typically a moderate price, that sells well, and has fairly good reviews. If you are on the fence about what one to get, they are a reasonable, option to try. I've recently bought Lavender and Ginger to treat Migraine headaches and the Amazon 's Choice brands work very well for me.

• Nancy Vance

My husband want Vick’s vapor-rub in his shower. That should work too, shouldn’t it? Or maybe I could crumble a Vick’s cough drop into the mixture. 😉

• MaryAnn

Vick’s has their own shower melts, I suspect it’s the same Menthol and Eucalyptus as the Vick’s Vapor Rub. Menthol is a strong formulation of the Mints.Similar to an Essential Oil. Vick’s also contains Camphor, I don't know if Camphorated Oil is even available over the counter any more. A Vick’s cough drop has a much weaker formulation. Vick’s Vapo rub is not to be taken internally. If he's insistent that he wants Vick’s it’s probably best to get their proprietary formula. Then you can see if you can come up with something he'll use. If he's as stubborn as my Hubs, I wish you luck. You could ask your pharmacist if they carry the Camphorated Oil. A very few drops would do it.

• Marilyn

Can u use a metal cake pan

• Martina

Check your local thrift stores to find a silicone cupcake pan for less.

• Tammy Sanders

Yes I will try this. Awesome way of thinking, love it

• Rita Mitchell

I have sinus issues and I know that I'm going to try this may be tonight or tomorrow because I have All the ingredients and I will let you know how it turns out and thank You for sharing this with us😘😘😘 merry Christmas to you and your family ♥️♥️♥️