Easy Shower Melt Steamers for Colds and Sleep

$2

Did you ever have that stuffy cold and need some sleep? These shower melt steamers will help. I don't know about you, but I love a warm shower when I have a cold. The steam from the shower does help, but these easy steamer melts will take it to a new level.

Here's what you need. 2 cups of Baking Soda, 1/2 cup of water, Eucalyptus Essential Oil, Lavender Essential Oil and a silicone cupcake pan or other mold. (you can tell that mine has been well used.) This recipe will make 12 Shower steamer melts in this mold if they are about 1/2" - 3/4" thick.

The first step is to measure 2 cups of Baking Soda into a bowl.

Next put 1/2 cup of water (I used cold water) into a measuring cup. Add the essential oils. How much you use will depend on your oils. I used 5-6 drops of Eucalyptus and 3 drops of Lavender but you might need more. Do a smell test to see if you have enough in the mixture. Mix them to blend with the water, then pour it into the Baking Soda. Mix with a spoon or even your hands until it's all mixed together. If your mixture seems dry, you can add a little extra water.

Divide the mixture into 12 portions, then put them in the molds and press them down firmly. Smooth the tops with your fingers. Don't worry if the tops aren't perfectly smooth. They will still work. Next put the molds in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F. and let them "bake" for about 20 minutes. Take them out and let them cool. Once they are cool, you can carefully take them out of the mold and put them on parchment paper to finish drying. You can actually use one right away, if you need one NOW. They will get harder though if you let them dry outside of the mold for another day.

Last step is to pop one on the drain in the shower. As the water gets to the drain, it will melt the steamer and release the Eucalyptus and Lavender scents to help clear that stuffiness and help you sleep. You can use soap coloring with these if you want some color, but don't use food coloring because it might stain your shower. You can use any silicone mold that you have to dress them up and give them as gifts. How simple is that for a great gift? I'll bet a teacher would LOVE these!

I put a price of $2.00 on these but I had everything on hand. If you have to buy the essential oils, of course, the cost would seem like more, but you can make a lot of batches with those oils. The price of essential oils varies so it's difficult to come up with an exact price. The same is true with the molds. I got mine at a garage sale 4/1.00 and have used them hundreds of times.

3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018

• Vhhigg9927

Why silicone pans? I'm guessing easier to get out after baking?

• Linda Sikut

Yes, you're right. A lot of molds are now made with silicone which makes it really easy to remove the item from the mold in one piece. :) I just happen to use old silicone muffin pans that I found at a garage sale.

• Deborah

How long do they last????

• Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

I imagine one per shower. But if you take quick showers, you might be able to have two.

• Linda Sikut

HI Deborah,

I use one per shower as Sidney stated. If you like long showers you might be able to pop in a second one.

• April Rose-Sharp

What brand of essential oils is the best?

I have never bought any of the oils before. I just wanted to know what brand is the best with a reasonable price? Also best store/website to purchase? Please everyone give me your opinion! Thank you so much!

• Rita Mitchell

Walmart probably would be your one stop for everything you will need, good luck and Merry Christmas to you and your family 😘♥️

• Linda Sikut

Hi April Rose,

I don't know which one is the best. I get most of mine on Amazon or at Walmart. They may or may not be the best. That's why I mentioned to use the amount of oil that gives you the scent you want. :)

• MaryAnn

April I get mine on Amazon for several reasons: 1) Amazon has a wide range of oils from many different companies, 2) they come in many different sizes, 3) they come in all different price ranges, 4) they are rated and reviewed by purchasers, so you can do a little research before buying. You don't need oils from the most expensive companies, just good, reliable, mid range, oils. You can buy the smallest size, get many uses and decide how you like it. Then if you feel you could do better, try another the next time. They also have what they call Amazon's Choice. It's typically a moderate price, that sells well, and has fairly good reviews. If you are on the fence about what one to get, they are a reasonable, option to try. I've recently bought Lavender and Ginger to treat Migraine headaches and the Amazon 's Choice brands work very well for me.

• Nancy Vance

My husband want Vick’s vapor-rub in his shower. That should work too, shouldn’t it? Or maybe I could crumble a Vick’s cough drop into the mixture. 😉

• Linda Sikut

Hi Nancy,

I haven't tried that so I'm not sure if it would work. You could try searching the internet for Vick's shower melts to see if you can find that formula.

• MaryAnn

Vick’s has their own shower melts, I suspect it’s the same Menthol and Eucalyptus as the Vick’s Vapor Rub. Menthol is a strong formulation of the Mints.Similar to an Essential Oil. Vick’s also contains Camphor, I don't know if Camphorated Oil is even available over the counter any more. A Vick’s cough drop has a much weaker formulation. Vick’s Vapo rub is not to be taken internally. If he's insistent that he wants Vick’s it’s probably best to get their proprietary formula. Then you can see if you can come up with something he'll use. If he's as stubborn as my Hubs, I wish you luck. You could ask your pharmacist if they carry the Camphorated Oil. A very few drops would do it.

• Marilyn

Can u use a metal cake pan

• MaryAnn

Best to use something you don't plan to use for food. You could pick up some cheap ice cube trays at the dollar store, or check if they carry the silicone muffin pans, or even soap molds, inexpensively, now it's after Christmas

• Linda Sikut

HI Marilyn,

I would think that they would be harder to get out of a cake pan. Most likely they would crack and break. Any cake pan would make one big chuck, not individual "cakes" to use in the shower.

• Martina

Check your local thrift stores to find a silicone cupcake pan for less.

• Tammy Sanders

Yes I will try this. Awesome way of thinking, love it

• Rita Mitchell

I have sinus issues and I know that I'm going to try this may be tonight or tomorrow because I have All the ingredients and I will let you know how it turns out and thank You for sharing this with us😘😘😘 merry Christmas to you and your family ♥️♥️♥️