Sherry
Sherry
  • Edenton, NC

DIY Walnut Kitchen Countertop

$950
Advanced

I really wanted to have a plank wood counter for my kitchen remodel and was quoted around $6000 (yikes!). Decided to try the DIY method and here is how they're turning out. My husband and I like them, but I'm sure people will either really like them or not like the variations in the wood. I wanted them to have some character. :-)
homemade walnut kitchen countertop
The walnut planks right after purchasing from the lumber yard.
homemade walnut kitchen countertop
After the boards have been joined with the wood glue and pocket hole screws. Then, sanded with a power sander. No finished applied yet.
homemade walnut kitchen countertop, countertops, diy, how to, kitchen design, woodworking projects
Not done yet, but in the home stretch! Routing the edges and applying Waterlox to seal it.
homemade walnut kitchen countertop
A close up of what can happen with grease spatter. This is a small spot (and the only one), but I guess the grease melted the finish. A little sanding and reapplying the Waterlox should fix this issue.
homemade walnut kitchen countertop
Here is how the finished project looks. I love the warmth of the walnut. It has held up really well. Definitely have not had any problems with water.

• Walnut planks  (Yukon Lumber Co., Norfolk, VA)
  • Kreg jig & Kreg pocket hole screws  (Lowes)
  • Titebond wood glue

• Christine

Very nice! I've made my own butcher block counters from reuse center maple. I cannot imagine paying what 18' of counter would have cost. I haven't stained or finished mine yet, because I can't decide what to do. Yours look beautiful! Great job.

• Denise

Stunning! :)