Hudson’s Bay Point Blanket Inspired Upcycle & Ikea Hack

$50
1 Week

Growing up, I always admired the Hudson’s Bay point blanket that adorned my great aunt's bed – with it’s iconic stripes! When I saw this knock-off at my local Value Village, I grabbed it and knew then and there that Hudson’s Bay stripes would make their way into our project (the second makeover of a Singer sewing table).

If you’re a visual learner and would rather skip the tutorial, watch the video :)

hudson s bay point blanket inspired upcycle ikea hack

During the summer, I was keen on turning everything into a planter and the sewing table was no exception. My original idea was to plant INTO it. We went to Ikea and found this container that I was planning on under-mounting below the table (much like an under-mounted sink).

However I nixed that idea when we found another item at Ikea and I started thinking ‘outside the planter’. My new idea was to add plants to the table using vertical space, but still leave it as a functional desk.

When I spied these copper cups, during the same trip to Value Village that I found the blanket, I loaded them into the basket too.

Where we Left off with the Sewing Table

If you saw our previous two posts of the sewing table, we first repaired the veneer and then painted it (you’ll find links to those tutorial on our blog).

Our first step was to remove the lids from the sewing machine so I could trace out a pattern of the top. Hubs used my template to cut a piece of very thin wood board to use as a new tabletop. He primed and painted it for me in an off white. This is what will show through as the background colour.

Masking off the Stripes

For this step we used  FrogTape because we always get crisp, clean lines with no paint seepage underneath!

Did you know that when you unroll green tape the edge stretches out of shape? So when you mark the top and bottom of the board and lay down tape between those two marks, you won’t get a straight line if you just go end to end! I didn’t believe this until I tried it and got a wobbly line! Hubs schooled me on how he does it!

Lay out a straight edge (in this case a ruler) between your two marks. I weighed it down with a few antique irons so it wouldn’t shift. Align the edge of the tape along the top edge of the ruler and butt the tape against it inch by inch as you steer it to the other end. The ruler acts as a guide to achieve an absolutely straight-edged line. Burnish the tape down and add more tape in the areas you want to remain white.

Transfer Markings

Once the taping was complete, we lined up the centre of the board with the centre of the Ikea SKÅDIS pegboard shown below. The marks of the stripes were then transferred so they would line up exactly. Tape the pegboard in the same manner.

At this point we gathered our paint colours. Then we took everything outside and set up a spraying station in the driveway.

Before we started to paint, we lightly scuffed the base coat on the first stripe. Hubs wiped the dust away with a damp cotton cloth. This will provide a bit of tooth for the paint to stick to – some added insurance.

Hubs hooked up a cup gun to our air compressor and sprayed each colour of the stripes. You'll find more detailed info on our site on how to prevent overspray.

Here you can see the finished stripes up against a Hudson’s Bay point blanket on our iPad. It’s pretty exciting when you’re at the stage where your vision is coming to life!

Assemble

We covered the table top with the striped board first. To attach the SKÅDIS pegboard to the table, we purchased these connectors separately. Pay attention to the thickness of the table top: the Ikea instructions suggest two different positions in joining the l-bracket to the connector, depending on thickness (which you can find on our site).

Once assembled, the connectors just screw on through the holes in the pegboard and it gets mounted to the table by way of a clamping mechanism.

Accessorize

The SKÅDIS series boasts a lot of accessories but for this configuration I kept it pretty simple with two white SKÅDIS shelves, these Korken glass jars (minus the lids) and, of course, those copper cups you saw earlier that we picked up at Value Village.

I placed air plants in the glass mason jars and succulents in the copper cups. Note that copper and succulents DON’T play well in the sandbox together, so make sure you have them planted into a plastic container first before placing them in the copper cup.

Before / During / After

Here’s a look at how this sewing table started out. We took it from drab, humble beginnings in a state of missing veneer and water damage...

…. to this updated painted makeover…

….to this Hudson’s Bay point blanket-inspired desk! With this project, I can have my cake and eat it too – so to speak. I have a vertical space to display plants, but I also have a practical desk top on which to work! However, since the new table top is thin, if I use this as a laptop table, we’ll likely add a piece of wood to fill in the gap left from the sewing machine. I also have the option of switching it back to a sewing table any time I want!

The two transformations of this vintage sewing table are equally dramatic! Which one do you prefer: the icicle-blue painted version or the Hudson’s Bay Point Blanket-inspired one?

There are many more tips, tricks and step-by-step photos of the process so head to our blog! Get your DIY mojo on by following us on Birdz of a Feather (link below where you see our logo). You can also follow us on:

Pinterest

Facebook: http://bit.ly/BirdzFB

YouTube: http://bit.ly/BirdzYT 

Instagram: http://bit.ly/BirdzIG

• Pegboard  (Ikea)
  • Paint  (PPG Break-Through)
Birdz of a Feather

• Christina Martinez

Why the colors? I really like the sewing table without those very bright color lines.

• Birdz of a Feather

Rosemary, that's a great idea! I had thought about a double sided peg board with two different looks but hadn't gotten around to executing it :)