Flower Pot Nutcracker Soldier

$40
1 Day

Being a dancer, I love the Nutcracker! My neighbor down the street has these Terra Cotta soldiers that they put out every Christmas and I love them. I decided I was going to make my own and add a twist - make mine a Flower Pot Nutcracker solider!

You can see more of my crazy creations here

Start with 4 flower pots that are the same size. I'm using 10 inch flower pots.

I painted mine as follows:

Hat - Folk Art Chalkboard Paint

Face - Waverly Ballet Slipper

Chest - Waverly Ocean

Pants - Waverly Crimson

and I let them dry completely

I painted all of the flower pot rims in Folk Art Chalkboard Paint and let that dry.

I drew a Nutcracker face onto the ballet slipper flower pot with the rim facing up. I started by drawing my face in pencil, then I painted the eyes with Folk Art Multipurpose Titanium White paint, and the mouth with Waverly Crimson. While that was drying I used a black permanent marker to draw on the eyebrows, nose, and mustache. When the eyes were dry I used a blue permanent marker to draw on the eye, and a black sharpie for the pupil. I painted the white teeth onto the mouth and let that dry. Finally I drew over the mouth shape with the black permanent marker.

I pulled a cotton ball apart and made the beard shape and hot glued it onto the face.

On the chest, I hot glued on some embellishments of buttons and button ribbon.

I used silicone to adhere the flower pots together like this, and let dry for 24 hours.

I added ribbon embellishments to the hat with hot glue.

I added some cotton balls pulled apart for his hair.

I placed a solar light through the hole on the top of the hat.

I added an old belt to to the center between the chest and pants.

I will be spraying him with Patricia Nimmocks Acrylic Sealer to protect him and I'll let that dry for 24 hours.

I would love to have you stop by my blog    Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/c/chascrazycreations

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Chas' Crazy Creations

• Dana Franklin

What is the significance of using the chalk paint?

• Maude LaFountain

Plus Chalk Paint is good to paint most anything with it ....no prepping like sanding just use a clean surface to paint on

• Christine

did it work? I had to redo the fluff, it was weather beaten.

• Cathy b

did the hot glue gun items stay glued when outside? I've had mine come off we live in the south. thank you for any help

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I have placed my Nutcrackers inside and they've been under a covered porch. I did have to do a minor touch up this season but nothing major. You could also use E6000 or silicone for a more sturdy hold.