Can I save my begonas indoors in the winter and replant?

+4
  • Susan Susan on Oct 31, 2018

You can save begonias over the winter. Just need adequate light and water.

• Rowgop (Pam) Rowgop (Pam) on Oct 31, 2018

Take the following steps to save your potted tuberous begonia tubers: Remove plant from pot before hard frosts occur. Cut back most of the top of the plant, leaving the ball of roots and soil intact. Place in a dry, cool storage area (a basement or garage) and allow the tubers to cure for several weeks.

https://www.gardensalive.com/product/ybyg-bring-in-your-begonias

• Betsy Betsy on Oct 31, 2018

Hi Diane: I bring mine, which are in pots, inside and put them in the garage. If it's a sunny day and not too cold, I will take them outside for a couple of hours. Water them sparingly, maybe a cup a month, so the roots don't dry out. If yours are in the ground, replant them in pails from the dollar store, with adequate soil, and they should be fine. Good luck

• Amanda Amanda on Oct 31, 2018

Hi Diane. I had some that were a bulb that I was able to keep. Not sure if you have the same type. I dug them up and stored them in the basement in a brown paper bag with peat moss, and replanted in spring. Good Luck!