How to repair peeling paint in the microwave?

Becky at Flipping the FlipBeverlyWilliam
+4

On the bottom of my microwave the paint is peeling really bad, How can I fix this would hate to throw it out it stills work very well.

• Zest it Up
    Zest it Up

Hi Beverly,

I wouldn't mess with painting a microwave. There are quite a few heat resistant spray paints out there that I would recommend for a fireplace or a bbq (Rustoleum even has one), but a microwave is so much different. It isn't just about the heat but the "microwaves" that bombard the food you place in there that excite the food on an atomic level (protons & electrons) to create heat. It makes me super leery to DIY a fix here. I would recycle it at an electronic station and get a new one, if I was in your shoes. Sorry!

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

I wouldn't worry about it. Just chip away what is peeling and keep it clean. No one can see inside. Not sure what paint to use that microwaves won't react, since original is a baked on finish.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Is the paint inside the microwave oven part of the appliance, or is it on the outside?

William

Special paint bonded to the interior. Nothing you can do to repair that would be food safe. You don't want anything vaporized and embedded into food. Best to replace it.

• Beverly
    Beverly

inside

• It may not be safe to use anymore, you might want to contact the manufacturer.