How do I add diffrent stain to my cupboard fronts?

+4

I have stained cupboards an older kitchen how can I incorporate a different color stain to them. For a different look on the fronts?

• Janice Janice on Nov 01, 2018

Sand lightly with fine sandpaper and then apply the color of stain you want. Maybe try a couple of test spots in an inconspicuous area (inside door, perhaps). Be brave!

• Zard Pocleeb Zard Pocleeb on Nov 01, 2018

You sand down the front (called the face frame) and apply the stain and top coat as you did with the rest of the cabinet. You can test colors on the bottom of the cabinet if it is finished. Many people who build cabinets don’t finish the bottom. I do on all the cabinets I build for a reason but there’s no need to talk about that here. If the bottom isn’t finished you can test colors on a small area of the face frame. Remember that the color will darken after the top coat is applied.

• Suelane Suelane on Nov 01, 2018

Hi Marlene,

I found that a good stain with built in urethane such as:

https://www.minwax.com/wood-products/one-step-stain-and-finishes/minwax-polyshades covers well.

Good luck!

• Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Nov 01, 2018

Marelene,. Stop by Home Depot or Lowe's paint department, they will have numerous stain colors to choose from. Aloha!

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Nov 01, 2018

The amount of sanding depends on whether you want to go lighter or darker. If darker, just enough to remove the topcoat. If lighter, enough to take the wood down to accept the new color. Once you have the cabinets stained to the shade you desire, add a good topcoat.