How to Make a DIY Picture Ledge

$20
1 Day

The wall over my couch was just begging for some art. But I'm constantly changing up the frames and art in my home, so I didn't want to hang a large gallery wall and have holes to fill when I wanted a new look.

So I decided to build a DIY picture ledge custom to my couch area.

how to make a diy picture ledge

Here's my couch area before I built the picture ledge. Empty and in need of some TLC!

how to make a diy picture ledge

First, figure out how long you want your ledge to be. I wanted mine to be a little longer than my couch, so I had wood cut to that size. You'll need 3 pieces of wood (I went with a 1x2 and two 1x3's).

how to make a diy picture ledge

I then used wood glue and clamps to hold the wood in place. You could stop there and your ledge will probably be fine. But I added some reinforcement with my nail gun and put a few nails in throughout the piece.

Finally, I stained the entire ledge and then secured it to the wall directly into the studs. (For more information on hanging them, head to this blog post).

how to make a diy picture ledge

Here's how it looks after! So much better and I love that I can change up the art on a whim!

For the full tutorial and steps, head to this blog post.

The DIY Playbook

• Terryl

I love this idea. I’m definetly doing this

• Paula Thompson Golato

I put three smaller shelves going up an open staircase wall. I used the same color frame in various sizes to hold family pictures which I had developed in black and white. It looks great!

• Krystel

Sounds nice. You should take a picture so we can see it!