How to Make a DIY Picture Ledge

$20
1 Day

The wall over my couch was just begging for some art. But I'm constantly changing up the frames and art in my home, so I didn't want to hang a large gallery wall and have holes to fill when I wanted a new look.

So I decided to build a DIY picture ledge custom to my couch area.

Here's my couch area before I built the picture ledge. Empty and in need of some TLC!

First, figure out how long you want your ledge to be. I wanted mine to be a little longer than my couch, so I had wood cut to that size. You'll need 3 pieces of wood (I went with a 1x2 and two 1x3's).

I then used wood glue and clamps to hold the wood in place. You could stop there and your ledge will probably be fine. But I added some reinforcement with my nail gun and put a few nails in throughout the piece.

Finally, I stained the entire ledge and then secured it to the wall directly into the studs. (For more information on hanging them, head to this blog post).

Here's how it looks after! So much better and I love that I can change up the art on a whim!

For the full tutorial and steps, head to this blog post.

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
The DIY Playbook

• Yvette Imathriver Kirkland
    Yvette Imathriver Kirkland

i don’t have clamps. What else can I use to hold the woods together while drying?

• Tonny Lynch
      Tonny Lynch

pencils and rubber bands can be used to strap the pieces in place. Ask a friend to help you hold it straight.

• Blank Walls Staring Back
    Blank Walls Staring Back

I love all the ways people display photos. My question, though, is how to best display COLOR family photos without looking messy and cluttered. Everyone uses black and white examples and it's hard to find color examples. Any advice? Or are my photos forever condemned to the attic?

• Just4Fun
      Just4Fun

Blank walls, I just made a photo collage wall with colored photos and black and white ones. All were placed in black frames, but white would work well too. Other people suggested the same idea for some uniformity. For extra fun, I added to door mirrors to either side so when people are looking at the wall, they see themselves added to the gallery. I like the way my wall turned out.

• HazeKomp
    HazeKomp

I have a series of 10 prints by the same artist, in matching frames, that I have avoided hanging for fear of not getting them level, not sure which ones to put where, etc. I'm going to try putting up a rail in my long hallway so I can easily switch them out, change them up as I desire.

(no small children here, so not too worried about them getting knocked off in hallway)

What do you think?

• HazeKomp
      HazeKomp

thanks for pointing the "above shoulder level" suggestion. Accidently bumping into the rail is my biggest concern.

• Lisa Grihorash
    Lisa Grihorash

I’m making mine tomarrow

• Just4Fun
    Just4Fun

Really nice way to display your pictures. I like how you are able to change them out when you want to redo the area.