Nightstand End Table Make Over

$20

I recently did a make over of my master bedroom that included updating some outdated furniture (I didn't want to spend a lot of money on buying new stuff). Some of these pieces had been in my house for a very long time and were still functional, but were in bad need of an update.

nightstand end table make over

These bed side tables were a prime example. They have lots of storage but the mahogany finish had to go. So I decided to paint them and add some extra details to the front.

Before anyone gets upset, these are laminate over MDF...so I'm not painting over real mahogany.

nightstand end table make over

The problem with painting laminate surfaces like these is that paint doesn't stick to them very well. Which means a lot of surface prep before the painting actually starts!

Start with a sanding block to remove the finish from crevices and corners.

nightstand end table make over

Then remove the finish from the flat sides using a random orbit sander.

nightstand end table make over

Hooking up a shop vac or dust collector to the sander will prevent the dust from going everywhere.

Finally, clean the surface with a de-greaser (like Krud Kutter) which will remove any extra grease and dirt left on the surface.

nightstand end table make over

Now we're on to the painting! First a coat of primer.

nightstand end table make over

Then I used an electric paint sprayer to paint the tables with Valspar's Dark Kettle Black semi gloss latex paint.

Now I know a lot of people will say that I could have saved myself a lot of prep work by painting the furniture with chalk paint. So...I have to admit that I must be the only person on the planet who does not like chalk paint. I have never been able to get a chalk paint finish that fit with my glam Hollywood Regency/Art Deco decorating style

nightstand end table make over

It always amazes me how a simple coat of paint can totally change the look of a piece of furniture. But I'm not quite done yet.

nightstand end table make over

Next I spray painted some small corner braces with Metallic Champagne spray paint.

Click here for some tips on successful spray painting.

nightstand end table make over

Then I screwed the corner braces on to the front of the drawers to add a little bit of an industrial feel.

nightstand end table make over

In my finished bedroom, it doesn't look like the same piece of furniture!

For all of the project details (including my favorite way to keep the paint spray from going everywhere!), click on the link below to visit my blog.

Wanda @ From House To Home

• Linda W

That turned out beautifully but I’m wondering about the wooden box that you added to the top. Is it just sitting there or is it fixed in some way? What did you use to construct it?

thank you.

• Linda

Beautiful job. You have great taste!

• Newbie in CO

I'd love to start projects like this now that I have a garage. Would you mind explaining where and how you set up your painting booth? I've got a really tight garage so I'm wondering if you managed with one as well. I'd also like to know, did you explain somewhere how you hooked up the sander to the vac? Thanks in advance.

• Hi...for this project, I used the painting booth outside on my deck so I didn't have any space issues. However, I have used it in the garage on other projects. It works well, but you need about 8' x 4' of floor space to set it up. Most sanders come with a place to attach the shop vac tube...you may need an attachment for the shop vac to make it the right size to attach to the sander.

• Deb

Does Krud Kutter work on kitchen cabinets?

• Cathy Hays

Try TSP Deb. It’s my go to cleaner for all my projects. Cuts through grease buildup dirt you name it. I buy it at Home Depot. 👍

• Debra Y

Looks Fabulous!

• Barb C

Well done! I checked out your full bedroom makeover. It is beautiful, professional looking and daring. I painted my entry room purple and found out many people do not like purple. But your bedroom is so beautifully done even they would have to give you kudos.