How I Organized My Jewelry!

$30.00

If you're like me, you tend to wear the same ol' pieces of jewelry every day even though you have lots of other options. I finally got fed up and decided to do something about that. With some inexpensive homasote, fabric and hardware, I now have an organized, pretty space for my favorite pieces.
how i organized my jewelry, crafts, organizing
I started out with some homasote from Home Depot. I had them cut it and ended up with 1 2'x4' panel, which is what I used for this project, and 2 2'x6' panels which we may end up using in the laundry area.
I have tons of burlap that I purchased on sale last year at Joanne's so I cut a piece a few inches larger than the homasote on each of the four sides and stapled it to the back, making sure to stretch it as tightly as possible.
Tip: Staple one long side first, then the other long side before stapling the short ends.
My first idea was to use eye screws for this project, but then I decided to use up my stash of cabinet knobs. Since they need to be screwed from the back, I installed them all before putting the homasote on the wall, which we did using screws. If you use eye screws, you can wait until the board is installed before screwing anything in and it's super easy.
To get the hole started, I used an awl to make a hole in the board and make screwing in the knobs easier, but this step is optional, especially if you're strong ;).
While eye screws and knobs are great for necklaces, they don't work so well for earrings. I had a metal bar that in its previous life held kitchen utensils but it worked perfectly for my earrings with hooks and for earrings that have posts you can just push them into the board.
One word of caution: you might want to give your earrings posts a quick wipe with some alcohol prior to wearing if they've been in the homasote, especially if you have sensitive skin. I don't think there would be a problem, but you never know.
The great thing about this project is you can adapt it to suit your needs. It can be great to hold accessories too, such as scarves, handbags and belts. You can also install the board on the back of your door if you don't have wall space in your closet, making use of some often overlooked storage.

Doreen S

• Louann

Love this idea... I too have a tone of burlap.. and some old draw pulls.. great, great, great.. have to show my daughter!!!

• Dayani De Silva

Very useful idea. Thank you so much