You Have the EDGE! Landscaping the Small Space Along the Driveway.

Spending so much time in my backyard garden, I had neglected the side of the house adjoining the neighbor's driveway. (They are so nice and never complained :)) After that side of my house was dug up a couple of years ago to waterproof the house, I had not replaced the grass. I had covered the dirt with landscape fabric and mulch and that was it. I thought it was about time to fix it up a little. I edged it with black edging and white marble rocks. I added some perennials that I transplanted from my back garden and a couple of annuals: shasta daisies, brown-eyed susans, coral bells, hostas, sedum, trailing evergreen, ice plant and petunias. I know when all the plants get settled in and bloom and spread, it will look even better. I think my neighbors are very happy with the result- as am I!
you have the edge landscaping the small space along the driveway, landscape, perennial
This is how it looked when I started. The dirt angles downward from the house and was covered with landscape fabric and mulch. I dug along the driveway and put in the black plastic edging.
I planted the hostas under the tree in the front of the house- they should love this shady area.
I transplanted the shasta daisies to the corners as well as some brown-eyed susans (which haven't bloomed yet- they are pictured here to the left of the daisies). You can see the silver mound in the foreground.
In front of the basement window, I planted some bright red petunias and an ice plant in between them.
Here are the coral bells and the trailing evergreen to the right of it.
I thought the john breech sedum will add a little color once it blooms. It is pictured here to the left of the silver mound.
As a final touch, I added white marble rock all along the edging. (It matches very nicely to the landscaping of my neighbor's house.)
What a difference. (I think my neighbors are very happy with the new look!)
The front and side of the house next to the neighbor's driveway as it looks now.

Lattice Fence Garden Border Set - 4 Pc, White

• Barbara

Off topic - is your gutter water going into the weeping tiles? I would extend your eavestrough downspout away from the house into the garden to make sure you don't have any further basement water issues.

• Ivylore

Yes, we've done a lot of work to direct the water away. Thanks!

• Sandy

You have lattice around a couple of plants, what are they and why did you put it around?

• Rebeccakanter

Shasta daisies

• Ivylore

Yes, thanks, Rebeccakanter. I added some shasta daisies because they are very hardy, grow very tall and add some beauty in those spots. In the last couple of years, I have also added some brown eyed susans to provide beauty after the shasta daisies die.

• Sherry Grimes Wilson

Love the rock edging what a great decorative idea!

• Virginia Long

I think the amount of lattice used was perfect !! If it was use around the all perimeter it would have boxed the area in. The amount used keeps my mind open future ideas

• Giselle

I see you live in Michigan and I live in Southern Ontario so I figure we have similar growing seasons. I have a really bad back and can’t really garden much. Do have any idea on what I can plant on the side of my house (the front faces east and gets a lot of sun) that would look pretty but not require a lot of maintenance. My neighbours yard is so beautiful and mine looks so shabby plant wise! Any advice is helpful as I am a total novice!

• Cindy

Sun hostas look nice, black-eyed Susans and Shasta daisies all do well in the sun. I especially love the BLUE hostas.

• Giselle

Thank you! I will look into these. 😊

• Blaire Simpson Oslander

What zone are you in? Also, I'd check with your Cooperative Extension for advice on good pollenators for bees and butterflies. You can spend a bit of time now to design a garden that will bloom all year (well, maybe not in Ontario, lol) for planting this spring or fall.

• Giselle

Definitely not in Ontario! 😆

• Kim

Day lilies will fill and keep the weeds down, bloom almost all summer, and have great foliage the rest of the time.

• Giselle

That sounds perfect! Thank you!

• Amy Bel

Peonies, irises, day lilies

• Susan

Hostas and day lilies need to be divided every other year so in no time you’ll have them everywhere, very hardy plants.

• Giselle

Good to know! Thanks!

• Marcia Serrenho

What did you use to cover the soil? It's not green grass.

Thank you!

• Ivylore

Hi Marcia. I covered it with landscape fabric then mulch. The front around the tree is lava rock that was already there from the landscaping in the front of the house. Thanks for reading.

• Blaire Simpson Oslander

Lava rock used to be fashionable, but I found when living in Nebraska that it was a pain, no way can you kneel on it, and it scrapes your knuckles when trying to bend over to dig a hole for a small plant. Organic mulch will be good for the plants, is easy to spread. If you're in an area with a lot of rain, and you have pine trees, you can use the pine needles for pathways and mulch. Keeps the mud in check, and will deter weeds. Whatever you use, put down a couple of inches and keep away from tree trunks about 6". You can add to it year by year. It will break down and provide nutrients to the soil.

• Beth Gold Roccia

How much white rocks did you use?

I like this and want to do a bigger area like this.

Thank you

• Margot

It’s a nice idea but I would have planted more flowers - or shrubs . I planted holly and it’s green all year long with beautiful red berries.

• Hollie Wooldridge

SoSo cute gonna do this one!