Master Bedroom on a Budget - Loads of DIY and Repurposed Ideas

I'm so happy to finally be able to show you our master bedroom! As you can see, the size of our bedroom is modest, but I believe you should make the most of the space you DO have! A master bedroom should be a sanctuary where you can retreat from the craziness of life and that was my goal for this room. I wanted it to be cool and relaxing, but bright.
This room is full of DIY and repurposed items and was put together on a budget. For now, the floors are painted subfloor. We plan to install new wood floors soon, but I couldn't stand the idea of updating the room with the old carpet! The rug isn't my favorite, but it was inexpensive and will work for now. When we put in the new flooring, we'll probably upgrade the rug as well.
The French silver nightstand is one of my favorite things in the room. The headboard is patterned after Pottery Barn's Raleigh upholstered headboard. The framed doily artwork above each nightstand are also a DIY project. Finally, I brought out the sewing machine to make the tailored bedskirt with gray grosgrain trim.
I wanted this room to be a real mix of styles - rustic and glam, modern and vintage, town and country! The floor mirror with the white washed, chippy frame was another DIY. These oversized mirrors can be rather expensive, but I found the mirror part at a local thrift shop. It had a cheap, thin frame. We removed the mirror and made our own frame using old barn wood siding. The total price for this tall floor mirror was just $25!
We previously had two dressers in our room - which took up a lot of space. I knew that I wanted just one large dresser and was so excited when I found this beautiful French Provincial dresser at a local auction. The finish on this vintage piece was great, but I wanted the base to be white, so I painted it. I love how it turned out.
Here's some eclectic for you - a wicker Peacock chair next to a French Provincial dresser.! Another bargain find that I just had to bring home at $15. I gave it a nice coat of white spray paint and added some accent pillows to dress it up.
I made a new slipcover for my cedar chest. The fabric is actually a shower curtain that I picked up in the clearance aisle at HomeGoods for $12. I liked the pattern and it's a nice weight fabric - just enough to make the slip cover and the small pillow cover above. Stop by my blog for more details and links to the individual projects!

Doreen Cagno

• Patricia Ann Morris

Love your new bedroom. So fresh and inviting. It looks very pricey. What color was the paint used on the night stand? I have been trying to get my bedroom to an inviting place to sleep though despite trying far too many bedding combinations as well as window coverings. My Q bed has an upholstered headboard, medium size chest, & my fav being a mirrored cabinet which is my fav part of my bedroom. When your room is asymmetrical, how do you work around it without making it look cramped? I have 1 night stand with a smaller lamp. Opposite side of bed only leaves 17"to an exterior wall. Any ideas or links would be greatly appreciated.

• Gail Daigh

Doreen, what did you use for the subfloor? Looks like that will be my strategy for all the floors on my house, using different stencils for each separate area. Thanks for the info--I am wondering if MDF sheets could be used...Gail

• Doreen Cagno

@Gail Daigh Gail - the subfloor is just what was down underneath the carpeting that was down prior. If I had it to do over, I would purchase a better grade subfloor and put it down. There are a lot of imperfections, but I still like it!

• Lisa House

I love the painted floor and the rug, helps give the room character, along with everything else. The room is gorgeous!