How do I get rid of fruit flies in my bathroom?

+5

Someone just asked about gnats. I think my problem must be fruit flies because the vinegar solution doesn’t work. Plus, I can’t find the source! Seem to be around water, like shower curtain, toilet water. But also just randomly in house...only one at a time! Help!

• Chris Kugler Chris Kugler on Nov 04, 2018

I'm dealing with them now too. I find any food items such as bananas and tomatoes that don't belong in the refrigerator draw them. Also my plants have water in then and they are attracted to these as well. But I put the Apple cider vinegar in a flat little bowl with plastic wrap and many holes. I am catching tons of them. I also put drops of peppermint essential oil in the dirt of the plants and that repels them. I think I'll just skip bananas for a week or so and see if it helps. I'll break the rules and put the tomatoes in the frig! Hope your bugs will be a thing of the past soon.

• Betty Betty on Nov 04, 2018

Hi I have used just water and dish soap in a small cup or bowl .put under night light in bathroom. You will be surprised. . I even did it in my kitchen under the night light. .next morning had some. .Good Luck. .

• Sue B. Sue B. on Nov 04, 2018

I’m gonna try Betty’s idea. Vinegar didn’t work. I think it’s possible that the source of these bugs might be the orchid someone gave me. But can’t figure out why I don’t see any around it!

• JoAnn Rose JoAnn Rose on Nov 05, 2018

use apple cider vinegar with a sweet liquid or syrup - cut a water bottle 1/4 from top - turn top upside down into top of bottle and add vinegar and syrup - put on counter or window sill. it will fill with fruit flies

• Sue B. Sue B. on Nov 05, 2018

Thank you, Betty! The dis soap under night light idea worked! That’s from kitchen and one bathroom. Gonna put one in my other bathroom today! Soooo satisfying!😉

• Ohhhdear Ohhhdear on Nov 05, 2018

There are also commercial fruit fly/ pantry moth traps that use a sticky board with a pheromone lure.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Nov 05, 2018

Another one you might try is yeast in warm water with a bit of sugar. They are attracted to the smell. It works really well for me, especially in the Fall when they seem to be the most active.

• Julie Dever Julie Dever on Nov 05, 2018

Drain gnats ...I had them when there was a problem under the house, when a drain pipe was broken, leaking onto the soil in my crawl space. We got the pipe fixed. Spiders ate them. Resolved.