Turn a Bedspring Into a Bottle Holder

$4

Do you ever buy bits and pieces at thrift stores and garage sales with no idea what you plan on doing with them? That is what happened when I bought the rake and later on the bedspring. I finally decided to turn the bedspring into a bottle holder. Or if you prefer an orchid planter.

The first thing I did was get fence boards with character from the woodpile. I had to scrub them down and sand the boards but the great patina remained.

The boards were glued with wood glue. The next step is to take a piece of plywood and nail it to the back of the 3 fence boards.

The bedspring is on the top at a slant. I used coaxial staples to put them on the boards. Rounded staples will also work. I used an empty wine bottle for the placement.

I tried adding another bedspring under the first one but didn’t like it. That is when I remembered I had the rake. I drilled a hole in the fence board where I wanted the rake to go. To attach the rake to the boards I found a knob that blended the rake. That is how I put the rake on the boards.

The final step is a coat of wax unless it will be hung outside. Then you should put a coat of polycrylic on it.  

Now my original vision was to put a bottle of wine in the bedspring and glasses on the rake. But it also makes a great planter with a little storage. So the choice is yours. Which one will you do?

Shoppe No. 5

• Nancy Flemming

Very nice, my old bed springs started big at one end and wound down to small so I put the large part at the top and the wine bottle went most of the way in,it looked great was given away as a gift and I forgot to take a pic.

• Mary Coakley

Love your Art