Cindi
Cindi
  • Tutorial Team
  • Canada

Laundry Room Pipe Rack With Hanger & Metal Heart

$25.00

Laundry Room Rack with Hanger, I added a 1" pipe to a 1" flange which you can find in the plumbing dept. at your local hardware store

Roman Numeral Font
Roman Numeral Font

I started out by printing letters spelling out "Laundry" in Roman Numeral font and placed them downward

Use a square
Use a square

I used a Square to ensure I had the lettering level

Carbon paper
Carbon paper

I purchased a package of Carbon Paper for only $4.00 at Staples which I placed under my printed lettering using a pencil, you can also use a red pen so you know where you have outlined your text

Transer print to wood
Transer print to wood

It transferred perfectly onto my piece of wood …. you can also re-use the carbon paper for other projects

I used Fine Point markeer
I used Fine Point markeer

I used a "Fine Point" Marker to outline the letters as it allowed me to draw straight lines and also used a ruler to make my lines straight

I used ruler to make my lines straight
I used ruler to make my lines straight

After I outlined the lettering with Fine Point marker I then used a fine paint brush to colour it in with black paint. Any craft paint works great, also from dollar store

Love Dollar Store wooden hangers
Love Dollar Store wooden hangers

I purchased a hanger from dollar store, painting it black and sanded the edges to make it look aged

Loved finished creation
Loved finished creation

Here is my creation, you an add hanger or other embellishments

Finished
Finished

I just bought a wooded hanger from dollar store, painted it black and sanded the edges to make it look aged and added a Metal heart which I purchased from Zulily.com …. I'm very happy with the results. I have seen these signs sold on Etsy and our local Buy & Sell and I have to say that they don't charge enough as it does take some time to make. I was surprised at the time it took but was fun to create

To see more: https://www.zulily.com/p/red-large-reclaimed-metal-heart-ornament-329043-41750524.html?search_pos=9&search_page=1&fromSearch=true

• ToTo

How did you age the wood?

• Cindi

thank you, yes I painted the first coat with black latex and after that dried I just dry brushed with gray paint ...I purchased a sample size at my hardware store so it only cost $6.00, craft paint from the dollar store would work great too. After that coat was dry I just sanded the edges with sand paper (also from the dollar store) and the surface where the wording went, before I stenciled it of course. I did the same with the hanger but just used 2 coats black paint then sanded the edges.

• Rebecca Arnold Hanekamp

Where did you get the lettering?

• Jo

You indicates you used a piece of 1 x 5 pine board. It looks like a piece of fencing. Do you think a piece of fencing could also be used?

• Cindi

Oh yes, as long as it's not pressure treated as I would not recommend this for inside your home due to chemicals in the wood