Asked on Nov 6, 2018

Can you tile and grout mirrors?

Twyla J BoyerDave DenlingerLisa
+7

Can you tile mirrors in a shower/bathroom?

q can you tile and grout mirrors
  • Kelli L. Milligan

Mirror doesn't like moisture, turns the silvering black and starts to peel. Grout would scratch it. I think the picture you show is a type (very exspensive) glass tile.

• Mogie

Lisa do you mean just to grout the mirrors or tile over the existing mirrors?

• Ebbjdl

Lisa,. You have a serious mold and mildew problem. Clean with straight bleach, or straight vinegar. Aloha!

• Bijous

Hi. The silver or mercury on the back will do pretty much as shown in the pix, but thick glass can be used much the same way as tile. The thinner mirror tiles you see sold at retail stores is not recommended. It will break easily. Good luck.

• Random Chance

Yes you can grout mirror panels. Use grout with latex added to make it more moisture resistant and flexible. Cover the edges of the mirrors with wide masking tape to protect from scratching by the grit in the grout.

• Kathy Conley

I would think that grout used for glass tiles would work, it doesn’t have sand or whatever it is that make regular grout gritty. Is the picture a inspiration picture or your actual bath? I would recommend you have it professionally installed and have the right type of mirror for a shower. You would need the mirror to be shatterproof. And Kelli is correct in that the mirror in your picture is very expensive but totally gorgeous!

• Alice

If you are installing the mirror tile near a water source such as a sink, shower or tub, then you have to use a grout that is waterproof.

• Lisa

I saw this photo on Pinterest and I thought I'd ask if anyone might know, excellent got loads of answers.

Thanks so much for all the response.

• Dave Denlinger

No you can't tile over them. A sandless grout can be used. But by the looks of it you have water damage behind the mirrors. Might have to replace wall board behind them.

• Twyla J Boyer

I am assuming the photo is of the current situation and that you are wanting tile rather than mirrors. If that's not the case, ignore my comment.

You will need to remove the mirrors since no adhesive I know of will be sufficient to attach tile to mirror securely. To remove mirrors, cover them with inexpensive contact paper before chiseling out. The contact paper helps keep there from being so many shards. Wear protective gear including shoes and long pants (preferably jeans).

After mirror removal, the wallboard will likely be damaged or have globs of mirror mastic on in. If damaged, you will need to remove it and replace it using cement board (drywall does not hold up in showers - cement board is designed for this purpose). You then attach the tiles to the cement board and grout the tiles.

It's a lot more work than you were hoping to do, I know, but will be a lot safer and will last much longer.