Tour of My Secret Garden One Year Later

Last year (2013), I converted my backyard into a secret garden. I got rid of all of the grass using a technique called "lasagna gardening" (To see how I did that, please see my post in link at bottom which includes a video illustrating how). This year, all of my efforts have definitely paid off and my secret garden is beginning to look like I envisioned it! Most of the plants that I planted last spring have come up again in all of their beauty. Some of the perennials still have to bloom and I will post pictures of those when they have. In the meantime, please take a look at some of the beauty that I witness every morning from my kitchen window!
tour of my secret garden one year later, flowers, gardening, landscape, perennial, raised garden beds
Welcome to my secret garden!
Entrance view
close up of the asiatic lillies that have just bloomed- beautiful!
daylillies, shasta daisies, silver mound surround the sitting angel
my birdbath and garden ball behind the reading fairy- purple pincushion flowers in the foreground
another view of the garden ball and reading angel- yellow sedum flowering in the foreground
the beautiful purple irises were one of the first blooms
little angel surrounded by hostas and coral bells in the shade garden
one of the shasta daisies leaning over the yellow sedum ground cover
solar lantern flickers at night!
guardian angel statue in back raised garden

To see more: http://www.squidoo.com/creating-garden-magic

• Carole

Love your garden. I am currently trying to establish a large garden bed on our bush block of land. Our soil is so poor that we need to amend it first and also build up the height. We have been composting and a friend brought us 4 large wheelie bins of the good stuff from their local horse stables. So, started by digging over the grass and weeds and pulling out as much as we could, I have a large area covered with newspaper at present to stop the grass coming back, then today I dug a bit further and added some of the stable stuff, added the contents of one large compost bin over that and a large bin of fallen autumn leaves over the top of that. I watered the stable horse pooh/sawdust and straw mix before adding the compost and leaves. I then put a tarp over the area and weighted in down. I don't intent planting it up for several months as we are currently in winter here, but it should be good and ready by next autumn. I want to plant (transplant) some shrubs and under plant with colourful bulbs. I might add an urn as a centre piece until the shrubs grow a little. I am using tree stumps as a 'retaining wall' and bush rock to frame the bed. I will have to be sure to post pics here when it is finished but it will be months before we get that far. Loved your video of how you did your 'lasagna garden'.

• Ivylore

@Carole Wow, Carole- that's a huge undertaking. I do hope you will post pictures, I would love to see how it comes along. Thank you!

• Hannah V

Gorgeous garden! Love the daisies

• Ivylore

@Hannah V Yes! I thought they might be weeds at first and was going to pull them all out! Thank goodness I waited a while- what a beautiful sight they are now, all blooming. Thank you.