Widen and Expand Doorway

$50
1 Day

The front room in my house had unusual shaped doorways. I wanted to widen them and raise them a little. Both to get better airflow and to update them.

I started by cutting the Sheetrock above doorway out. I used a utility knife to cut straight up from the angled part that I wanted to remove. I went over the cut several times before taking a hammer and beginning to remove Sheetrock.

I removed the Sheetrock and hammered out the top boards. I planned to widen doorway as well so I removed boards to the doorway with a plan to build back next to electrical outlet, widening opening as much as I could.

I framed the doorway where I wanted it using 1x4x8 boards and covered the wall with Sheetrock. I applied mud, let dry and sanded then applied a single coat of primer.

I framed out the doorway and added trim. I used a miter saw to make cuts and finishing nails to hammer the boards in. There was also flooring installed as well as a fresh coat of paint. I painted all the trim boards in the doorway white to match existing trim.

I used 3 inch trim and caulked any gaps before painting. I used a miter saw to make cuts.

I am happy with the change. I feel like the rooms have a much better flow and an updated look.

30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!

• David McIntosh

A few steps seem to be missing. Looks like you took the whole wall down then framed and sheet-rocked a new one? Would love to see the framing of the new wall before Sheetrock. Did you put in a header?

• Bbunny42

Good question! Would like to know the width of the doorway before and after. Seems like a ton of work to not gain more width than that. Kinda hard to judge by pictures though. I liked the picture where the entire wall to the right of the door was taken out.

• Jeanette E

looking at the pictures from start to finish, it looks like you have a good width on the arch so doesn't that mean you have lost floor space too?

• Michael Scott

Floor space not a concern, both rooms are plenty big. Wanted enough room to move baby grand if I chose to without removing legs, etc.

• Rosemary

How do lighten a heavy sliding glass door?

• Rosemary

This is just da thing I was looking for. Thx u do much for this advice & will use it forthwith. Rosemary

• Carla

Proportion and colors are beautiful. You have a great eye!

• Donna Lynn Pounds

Fantastic job! It really improved the look of your home!

• Michael Scott

Thanks, that is 1 of several doorways that I did that way. Wanted all the entry’s to match besides those that had doors which were bedrooms and baths. I’m thinking I may build a barn type door to separate music room from living room if I wanted to do some recording, etc.