Widen and Expand Doorway

$50
1 Day

The front room in my house had unusual shaped doorways. I wanted to widen them and raise them a little. Both to get better airflow and to update them.

widen and expand doorway

I started by cutting the Sheetrock above doorway out. I used a utility knife to cut straight up from the angled part that I wanted to remove. I went over the cut several times before taking a hammer and beginning to remove Sheetrock.

widen and expand doorway

I removed the Sheetrock and hammered out the top boards. I planned to widen doorway as well so I removed boards to the doorway with a plan to build back next to electrical outlet, widening opening as much as I could.

widen and expand doorway

I framed the doorway where I wanted it using 1x4x8 boards and covered the wall with Sheetrock. I applied mud, let dry and sanded then applied a single coat of primer.

widen and expand doorway

I framed out the doorway and added trim. I used a miter saw to make cuts and finishing nails to hammer the boards in. There was also flooring installed as well as a fresh coat of paint. I painted all the trim boards in the doorway white to match existing trim.

widen and expand doorway

I used 3 inch trim and caulked any gaps before painting. I used a miter saw to make cuts.

widen and expand doorway

I am happy with the change. I feel like the rooms have a much better flow and an updated look.

widen and expand doorway

• David McIntosh

A few steps seem to be missing. Looks like you took the whole wall down then framed and sheet-rocked a new one? Would love to see the framing of the new wall before Sheetrock. Did you put in a header?

• Bbunny42

Good question! Would like to know the width of the doorway before and after. Seems like a ton of work to not gain more width than that. Kinda hard to judge by pictures though. I liked the picture where the entire wall to the right of the door was taken out.

• Jeanette E

looking at the pictures from start to finish, it looks like you have a good width on the arch so doesn't that mean you have lost floor space too?

• Michael Scott

Floor space not a concern, both rooms are plenty big. Wanted enough room to move baby grand if I chose to without removing legs, etc.

• Rosemary

How do lighten a heavy sliding glass door?

• Rosemary

This is just da thing I was looking for. Thx u do much for this advice & will use it forthwith. Rosemary

• Carla

Proportion and colors are beautiful. You have a great eye!

• Donna Lynn Pounds

Fantastic job! It really improved the look of your home!

• Michael Scott

Thanks, that is 1 of several doorways that I did that way. Wanted all the entry’s to match besides those that had doors which were bedrooms and baths. I’m thinking I may build a barn type door to separate music room from living room if I wanted to do some recording, etc.