Maxine TerBush
Maxine TerBush
  • Lexington, KY
Asked 7 hours ago

How do I care for my lilac bush?

LisaMaxine TerBushEverett
+3

I have 2 Lilac bush that about 2 yrs old that has not bloom once? R u supposed trim them back this time of year it looks like the have new blooms on it. Help? Trouble?

q trouble in kentucky

Trouble in Kentucky!!!!

• Hi Maxine,

Lilas are a pretty carefree shrub. Not sure where you live but Lilacs like to have a cold snap in the winter and need it in order to bloom. Sometimes it's takes them a few years to finally decide to bloom. The only time I trim my lilacs are after they are done blooming. When the blooms turn brown I cut them off so the plant does not expend energy into making seeds. I don't even fertilize them.

• Emily
    5 hours ago

lilacs are the easiest of plants to grow. Actually I was on the phone this morning and looking at one of ours which is outside our kitchen window. I was thinking that the dead wood on it should be trimmed off. I would recommend not letting them get too tall as then it is hard to get blossoms. We don't do anything to ours otherwise except enjoy that delicious scent. Lilacs on our mantelpiece

• Amanda
    5 hours ago

HI Maxine. You can trim Lilacs but it should be done in spring after it has bloomed. If you do this in summer or fall they will not bloom the next spring. I would wait and see if they bloom in spring. Good Luck!

• Everett
    5 hours ago

I agree with above comment,,I do thin out some of the largest,,maybe not neccesary, but if they are just right they make good walking sticks or if not they go in the insert I put in fire place.

• Maxine TerBush
    4 hours ago

Thanks I will leave it alone and see what happens next year. Thank you all.

• Lisa
    33 minutes ago

Getting them to bloom depends on how much sun they get.