Faux Punched Tin

I love the look of punched tin. And of course I wanted to go about it in a totally different way, simply because I’m cheap like that. So, rather than pricing out thin sheets of tin for this project, I collected a few disposable aluminum cookie sheets from the Dollar Store. And faux punched tin was born!
A fun way to create the look of punched tin with disposable aluminum cookie sheets.
This project started out as these disposable aluminum cookie sheets! You can find them at most party supply stores for about 80 cents each.
I used a knitting needle to press the design into the sheet of aluminum and then layed it over a towel to punch in the design.
The finished design can be mounted on canvas. You can find the full tutorial and the free rooster pattern on my website.
The finished work of art has the look and feel of real punched tin, costing just pennies to make.
Susan Myers

• Sharon Kettner

Does it matter what size knitting needles you use?
  • Sharon Kettner

I need some advice. Every time I find cheap aluminum cookie sheets they have a design in the bottom. I have tried Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Family Dollar, etc. Can someone tell me where to find plain ones?
    Thank you!
    • Tawny Kennedy Bohannon

Turn the pans upside down (The part that you cook on ) where the lip is up against the wall and then attach he lights to the inside with electrical tape where you want the lights to go but use the type of lights that (Christmas lights ) that are two hundred one one string cover the exposed wire between the pans with silver tape and run the string of lights toward an outlet ! I ran one across and around the inside of a painting toward the outlet and I found a color of tape almost the same color as the wall and I plugged the lights into the outlet so I did not have to change batteries or worry if they stop working to quick !

• Margherita McCallum

I had the same idea a few months ago re: punching holes as a design, but i was trying to figure out how i could place led lights or some kind of lighting effect so it would come through the holes in my design. But haven't figured that out yet. Any ideas?

• Tawny Kennedy Bohannon

Tawny Kennedy Bohannon

Just now

Like

Reply

• Fran

I love this idea

• Five little hens

I've been trying to come up with an idea for the pantry cupboard cabinet doors in my kitchen. This could work very nicely. Thanks.