Should I paint or stain my solid wood kitchen cabinets?

+7
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Nov 07, 2018

Hi Laura,

Do you want to freshen up the wood cabinets or paint them? Part of your question didn't show up. Please come back and let us know the unfortunate part so that we can be more helpful and give you better advice. :) Linda

• Laura Laura on Nov 07, 2018

I’m not sure whether I should paint them white or stain them a dark wood. I have a colonial home. I’m in process of upgrading the house to sell next year.

HI Laura,

That's a tough decision. I painted my dark walnut cabinet several years ago and now I see that walnut is coming back. Let me ask you this; it might help you decide. Is your kitchen on the north side of your house with little natural light? If so, white would brighten it up. Does your kitchen get a lot of natural light? If so, the walnut might be fine. I would also connect with a local Realtor to ask them what is selling and what is not. Areas of the country can be different, so you can utilize their local expertise to learn what "hot" in your area. I hope this helps you. Wishing you the best.

• See 1 previous
    • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Nov 10, 2018

Hi Laura,

Yes, if your Realtor said not to paint them, then go with that advice. I do agree about the orange color. That was one of the reasons we first remodeled our kitchen. If your cabinets have any finish on them, that will need to be sanded off. However, if they are wood with no finish, like mine were, just clean them well with TSP then stain them with the darker color. Here's someone else who did that with a table. Good luck when you sell your house. I hope it sells fast. :)

https://salvagedinspirations.com/can-you-stain-over-stain-the-same-rules-apply-when-dying-your-hair/

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Nov 07, 2018

I would go with something like java stain. That is very popular. You can also update the hardware to large stainless for the pulls. You can replace or paint hinges.

• Laura Laura on Nov 10, 2018

Thank you for your reply. I’ve researched and have watched so many videos about using Java. I think if I use java I would probably go with a walnut or cherry.

• Lisa Lisa on Nov 07, 2018

If you choose to paint the cabinets make sure you take into consideration the amount of light you get in the kitchen as well as the color of the floors. You definitely don't want the cabinet color to compete with the flooring or be so dark if the room gets limited natural light, dark cabinets may make it look darker.

• Laura Laura on Nov 10, 2018

oh wow I really didn’t give much thought to my floors. Thank you for your reply. I’ve done so much research I probably will stain them all 24 cabinet doors.. yikes now I know why I haven’t started the process yet. Lol

• Lisa Lisa on Nov 10, 2018

You know what happens when you start a project? When you get finished you start looking at the room next to it thinking “ boy I really need to update this room...” ( this is how it starts!lol)