How to Make Pretty Fabric Covered Flowerpots

$1

We love to make homemade gifts for family and friends and think these pretty little fabric covered flowerpots fit the bill perfectly. They are simple and cheap to make but look fabulous paired with a lovely plant as a thoughtful gift.

What you need to make fabric covered flowerpots.

Bostik White Glu

Fabric

Terracotta flowerpots

Paper, pen, pins and scissors to make a template and cut out the fabric.

Acrylic paint and paintbrush

How to make a template for the fabric covered flowerpots

To start, I made templates for the fabric that I was covering my flower pots with. Although not essential, this step really does make the rest of the project more manageable.

I also painted the inside of my flower pots with acrylic paint to coordinate with the fabric and give them a bespoke look.

I had two different size pots, so made two templates.

I first marked the top of each size pot with a sharpie, so that I had a point to work from. I placed the pot on a piece of paper and traced the top edge while rolling the pot one complete turn plus a little extra for the overlap, and then did the same for the bottom edge.

To account for the fold of fabric over the top and bottom of the pot, I used a measure to add an inch then cut out the template and checked that it fitted as planned. You can see from the shape of the template that you would end up cutting lots of excess fabric off if you didn’t use one, so this step definitely makes everything easier later.

I then evicted our cat from his new found bed and cut out the fabric pieces using the template as a guide.

How to make fabric covered flowerpots

I used Bostik White Glu to stick the fabric to our flower pots. Bostik White Glu is a general purpose, solvent-free adhesive which has been specially developed to provide superior performance for arts and crafts projects. It offers excellent adhesion to porous materials such as fabric, leather, paper, textiles, wood, cardboard and felt, so is perfect for this craft.

As well as being ready to use straight from the bottle, Bostik White Glu is also ideal to water down for crafts such as paper mache and decoupage, and when using on really porous surfaces such as these terracotta pots.

I diluted our white glu with roughly the same amount of water to glue. You can see from the photo below that it is similar to the consistency of single cream.

I covered the outside wall of each pot with the diluted glue and placed the fabric in position, smoothing it into place. I found working with the pot upside down made it really easy to position the fabric, leaving just a few millimetres sticking up ready to be stuck down in the next stage.

The Bostik white glu happily stuck the fabric to itself on the overlaps, so I didn’t need to do anything extra with the seams. Once the fabric was in position on the walls of the flower pot, I left the glue to dry before returning for the next stage.

To finish the top edge of our fabric covered flower pots, I cut slits in the fabric, and stuck each one down with the Bostik White Glu and once again left to dry before upturning and folding the bottom edge over and glueing into place.

And here are my finished pretty fabric covered flower pots. Each one cost about a dollar to make and looks fab with a colourful plant in it. I won't be planting straight into these pots, so just dropped the plants straight it in their own plastic plant pots so that they are easy to remove for watering and changing up.

If you would like more inspiration for gifts you can make yourself, you’ll find lots in the homemade presents category on our blog :)

15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Craft Invaders

• Chrissy Krainock Luders

Any idea if a fat quarter will cover a certain size pot? I live in Hawaii and can't wait to see some pretty tropical fabrics on the pots.

• Bev

Chrissy, if the fat quarter isn't large enough, I think combining two different fabrics would also look great. Maybe the top part of the pot could be a complimentary fabric or even a wide ribbon trim.

• Martha Jay

Do you seal the inside of the potto keep moisture from wicking through and molding?

• Gabrielle Falk

Good response. Also, if moisture does penetrate the terracotta pot, mould will inevitable ensue. Once fabric is wet and thus mouldy, you absolutely cannot get the mould/stains out of the fabric. I would think, that to seal the inside, ESPECIALLY, would be a pre-requisite. And therefore, also seal the external side of the terracotta pot/s. Once you get mould in anything, it can be very difficult to remove/kill. Esp. if the surface is porous.

• Therese O'Brien

Why Bostick glue? Is there something special about it?

• Sjt29229935

I was thinking the same thing and it does sound like she is getting remuneration from Bostick glue with the number of references made to the product. However, I would think Mod Podge, Elmer's glue or dollar store glue would give you the same results as they are water based products, as well. As to the moisture issues others have alluded to, once the item is completely dry, you could try using Thompson's water sealer or a polyacrylic to help seal out dampness. Nope, I am not getting a compensation from any of these companies, simply offering suggestions.  I think the pots turned out really pretty and it looks like a fun, creative project. I am looking forward to beautifying my plain, old pots. Thank you, Craft Invaders, for your inspiration and clever idea.

• Pinkbird

Connect your phone to a printer. Or take photos of directions and save

• Holly

Whet a good looking idea! I love the stitching.