How to Make Pretty Fabric Covered Flowerpots

$1

We love to make homemade gifts for family and friends and think these pretty little fabric covered flowerpots fit the bill perfectly. They are simple and cheap to make but look fabulous paired with a lovely plant as a thoughtful gift.

how to make pretty fabric covered flowerpots

What you need to make fabric covered flowerpots.

Bostik White Glu

Fabric

Terracotta flowerpots

Paper, pen, pins and scissors to make a template and cut out the fabric.

Acrylic paint and paintbrush

How to make a template for the fabric covered flowerpots

To start, I made templates for the fabric that I was covering my flower pots with. Although not essential, this step really does make the rest of the project more manageable.

I also painted the inside of my flower pots with acrylic paint to coordinate with the fabric and give them a bespoke look.

I had two different size pots, so made two templates.

I first marked the top of each size pot with a sharpie, so that I had a point to work from. I placed the pot on a piece of paper and traced the top edge while rolling the pot one complete turn plus a little extra for the overlap, and then did the same for the bottom edge.

To account for the fold of fabric over the top and bottom of the pot, I used a measure to add an inch then cut out the template and checked that it fitted as planned. You can see from the shape of the template that you would end up cutting lots of excess fabric off if you didn’t use one, so this step definitely makes everything easier later.

I then evicted our cat from his new found bed and cut out the fabric pieces using the template as a guide.

How to make fabric covered flowerpots

I used Bostik White Glu to stick the fabric to our flower pots. Bostik White Glu is a general purpose, solvent-free adhesive which has been specially developed to provide superior performance for arts and crafts projects. It offers excellent adhesion to porous materials such as fabric, leather, paper, textiles, wood, cardboard and felt, so is perfect for this craft.

As well as being ready to use straight from the bottle, Bostik White Glu is also ideal to water down for crafts such as paper mache and decoupage, and when using on really porous surfaces such as these terracotta pots.

I diluted our white glu with roughly the same amount of water to glue. You can see from the photo below that it is similar to the consistency of single cream.

I covered the outside wall of each pot with the diluted glue and placed the fabric in position, smoothing it into place. I found working with the pot upside down made it really easy to position the fabric, leaving just a few millimetres sticking up ready to be stuck down in the next stage.

The Bostik white glu happily stuck the fabric to itself on the overlaps, so I didn’t need to do anything extra with the seams. Once the fabric was in position on the walls of the flower pot, I left the glue to dry before returning for the next stage.

To finish the top edge of our fabric covered flower pots, I cut slits in the fabric, and stuck each one down with the Bostik White Glu and once again left to dry before upturning and folding the bottom edge over and glueing into place.

And here are my finished pretty fabric covered flower pots. Each one cost about a dollar to make and looks fab with a colourful plant in it. I won't be planting straight into these pots, so just dropped the plants straight it in their own plastic plant pots so that they are easy to remove for watering and changing up.

If you would like more inspiration for gifts you can make yourself, you’ll find lots in the homemade presents category on our blog :)

Craft Invaders

• Jo Ann

What kind of glue do I use if I want to plant plants in the pots?

• Christine Evans

I absolutely love this idea! I’ve read some comments,but not sure I understand some though. If I want to use real plants (for indoors) do I put something over material?

• Kristie Foreman

Terra cotta pots soak up water even out of the plant is let go to long between watering. I love the plastic pot inside idea. Very cute I love the fabric pots

• Any idea if a fat quarter will cover a certain size pot? I live in Hawaii and can't wait to see some pretty tropical fabrics on the pots.

• Craft Invaders

Hi Chrissy. If you look at the photo of the fabric with the template pinned to it you can see that it is using slightly more than a quarter of the square (the whole piece was about 20 inch square). The pot that I made that template for was one of the bigger ones and had a diameter of 4 1/2 inches and was 4 inches tall - Hope that helps :)

• Naomi Teanio

I use Outdoor Modpodge and it works well. And I also plant directly into the pot, but adding the potted plant is also a great idea. Gonna try that so that I do not disturb the plant roots...🤙🏽. Also, being in Hawaii, I used Hawaiian print fabric...🌴🌞🏄🏽‍♂️

• Craft Invaders

Thanks so much for letting us know that the outdoor Modpodge works and your pots look Fab - I love the prints Naomi :)

• Sea Trace Creations

I love the idea and I can see the pots being a great storage container or part of a housewarming gift filled with garden tools, apron, etc.