Luz DIYs
Luz DIYs
  • Tutorial Team
  • Miami, FL

Cat in the Hat and All About That!

$15

My daughter's school had a Trunk or Treat for the 2nd time this year. Each class had a book theme, ours was The Cat in the Hat. I had a great time doing it and most of all seeing it come together.

I think anyone can use these great ideas for a birthday party as well.... or even classroom decor. Hope you enjoy.

cat in the hat and all about that

I'm pretty good at drawing.. so, I figured that's what I would do, draw everything out and then paint it. I went to a local warehouse and asked if I can have some boxes and cardboard they where going to toss out. We have become Friends.

cat in the hat and all about that

I got to work and started drawing everything out.

cat in the hat and all about that

Then I started to paint.

cat in the hat and all about that

After it was all painted, I cut it out with an x-acto knife. Honestly, that was the hardest part, the cardboard was a bit thick.  but we had fun with it.

cat in the hat and all about that

I Made some "trees" from noodles, tissue flowers, and black electrical tape. All from the Dollar Tree.

cat in the hat and all about that

I also wanted to add "The Fish" because.. He is Awesome!

cat in the hat and all about that

I added a box to the back, not only to stand it.. but that's where we would place our candy to give to the kids.

cat in the hat and all about that

some paint...

cat in the hat and all about that

I made the window from the book with a Project board. Also from the Dollar Tree.

cat in the hat and all about that

I wanted to include the "BIG RED" box the "Things" come out of.. so I painted one of the boxes with some read paint, I had in my shed.

cat in the hat and all about that

I added some black lines and added some messy shading.

cat in the hat and all about that

I needed to fill out some space, so I drew some whimsical looking towers...

cat in the hat and all about that

I mocked everything at home.. just to be ready.... then....

cat in the hat and all about that

Watched it come to LIFE!!! We had to tie most of it down. The wind was really strong..

cat in the hat and all about that

but we had a great time..

Hope you guys can use some of these ideas. Till next time!