French Inspired Armoire Makeover

$75

I've been painting furniture for at least 12 years, but with the wrought iron door and all the shelving, this armoire was my most challenging project to date. There were many times during the process that I wondered what I'd gotten myself into, but I think the results were well worth it...and I learned an important lesson along the way.
I like the before, but my client wanted to change it up for her new home. After looking at some inspiration pieces, I decided to use ASCP in Old White and French Linen.
I gave the whole armoire one coat of French Linen, then took a step back to decide what to do next. After looking at the inspiration piece for guidance, I decided to create a wash with Old White, painting it on and wiping it off.
Next, the armoire got a coat of clear wax, followed by dark wax. I wiped the dark wax off with clear wax, leaving it behind in crevices and corners to highlight the details in the woodwork.
With a little paint this armoire went from "Tired Tuscan" to "Fab French!"
When I compare my project with this inspiration piece, I feel a sense of pride. I never would have gained this newfound confidence had I given up before I started, which is what I wanted to do. Now I'm inspired to tackle the next project!

• Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White  (available at your local Annie Sloan stockist)
  • Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in French Linen  (available at your local Annie Sloan stockist)
  • Annie Sloan paint brush  (available at your local Annie Sloan stockist)

Sharon @ mrs. hines class