Turn Your Hutch Into a Candy Hutch!

$50

That's right! This is an awesome idea for any kind of party and kids love it!

turn your hutch into a candy hutch

I got this vintage hutch for free years ago and you can check out the makeover post here:

https://www.hometalk.com/18473716/vintage-hutch-makeover

I threw a circus theme Halloween party where the partiers needed to play games to win tickets to get candy. It was epic!

turn your hutch into a candy hutch

The finished hutch-a-roo!

turn your hutch into a candy hutch

I love signage, so I made a candy sign for the top of the hutch. For this, I used a jigsaw and cut a simple shape out of plywood and then stained it.

For the lettering, I used a tape measure and ruler to draw out 5 equal boxes, one for each letter. I drew the letters with white paint and a little brush.

turn your hutch into a candy hutch

The finished sign all distressed and waxed! The candy sign has two side pieces of wood attached to it, to make it stand up. This took a couple tries, because the front of the sign is heavy and kept wanting to fall forward.

turn your hutch into a candy hutch

I wired lights to the back of the sign, but you can also use Christmas lights or a string of lightbulbs.

turn your hutch into a candy hutch

For the lights inside the hutch, I pulled two strands of 500 lights through two small holes I drilled. The inside of my hutch is painted, so holes are easily filled and repainted over. I wasn't too worried about making holes, but if you are, you can use battery operated lights.

These are called 'fairy lights' and I ordered them from AliExpress.

It's better to use tension rods to hold up the lights, but I went with black rope. This is the most difficult part of the candy hutch. I stapled rope to the top and bottom of both sides of the hutch and slowly wrapped the light around it while keeping the rope tight. These fairy lights are awesome, but tangle up easily! I wouldn't recommend them if you're not running on 100% patience. Don't worry about evenly spreading out the lights until they are all wrapped around the rope or tension rod. You can do that once the lights are on and tight.

turn your hutch into a candy hutch

The candy display and ticket signs were done by my lovely wife Mariko! She displayed everything in glass to reflect the lights. It looks sweeeeet!

turn your hutch into a candy hutch
turn your hutch into a candy hutch
turn your hutch into a candy hutch
turn your hutch into a candy hutch
turn your hutch into a candy hutch
turn your hutch into a candy hutch
turn your hutch into a candy hutch
turn your hutch into a candy hutch

Thanks for checking out the hutch!

Come check us out on Facebook, The Gram or www.bryanharper.tokyo

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop/