Kitchen Transformation for Under $400

$360

A tight budget and a tired kitchen led to this amazing kitchen makeover.

My kitchen felt dated, even with my newer appliances and I was sick of it. A friend of mine had just bought a house where the previous owner Chalk painted the cabinets an old ocher color and I loved it. Inspiration had struck. I bought white Rustoleum Chalked paint for $20 each (I would ultimately use two of these) and a couple cans on wax for $10 each before heading home.

I was originally planning to only paint the cabinets (so that's where I started.) I diluted the paint with water because it's very thick and applied 3 coats. Afterwards, I couldn't stand the silver hardware, so I bought the black above from the hardware store $10 for a box of 10. (I needed three.) One project leads to another. I detested the clash countertop and asked around about painting it.

After hearing a few positive reviews from friends I bought a Giani countertop paint kit, plus plastic and tape from the Dollar Tree. This was a 3 day project involving a primer, color coat, and top coat. The kit comes with a sponge, roller, paints, and trial square. I was nervous I'd mess it up, but it's so random you don't need any artistic ability (like myself.) I even managed to put a "vein" into it!

Which is, of course, totally optional. I really like the way it looks like natural granite. There are multiple colors to choose from; I went with the darkest: Bombay Black

I was definitely in love with the finished product. The kit was $80 and the tape and plastic drop cloths only ran me another $5.

As much as I loved my new counters, this floor stole me heart. These are peel and stick vinyl tiles. I went right over the existing vinyl floor. They were on sale for $10 a box and each box was 10 square feet. The tiles are 6" x 24" and I bought 18 boxes.

Aren't they gorgeous? It took about 10 hours to get the floor down, but someone with more experience could probably knock it out much faster.

Complete transformation.

• Rustoleum chalked paint  (Walmart)
  • Giani countertop paint kit  (Walmart)
  • Vinyl Floor Tiles  (Walmart.com)

• Sue

I have varnish on my cabinets, do I have to sand them first ?