Kitchen Transformation for Under $400

$360

A tight budget and a tired kitchen led to this amazing kitchen makeover.

kitchen transformation for under 400

My kitchen felt dated, even with my newer appliances and I was sick of it. A friend of mine had just bought a house where the previous owner Chalk painted the cabinets an old ocher color and I loved it. Inspiration had struck. I bought white Rustoleum Chalked paint for $20 each (I would ultimately use two of these) and a couple cans on wax for $10 each before heading home.

kitchen transformation for under 400

I was originally planning to only paint the cabinets (so that's where I started.) I diluted the paint with water because it's very thick and applied 3 coats. Afterwards, I couldn't stand the silver hardware, so I bought the black above from the hardware store $10 for a box of 10. (I needed three.) One project leads to another. I detested the clash countertop and asked around about painting it.

kitchen transformation for under 400

After hearing a few positive reviews from friends I bought a Giani countertop paint kit, plus plastic and tape from the Dollar Tree. This was a 3 day project involving a primer, color coat, and top coat. The kit comes with a sponge, roller, paints, and trial square. I was nervous I'd mess it up, but it's so random you don't need any artistic ability (like myself.) I even managed to put a "vein" into it!

kitchen transformation for under 400

Which is, of course, totally optional. I really like the way it looks like natural granite. There are multiple colors to choose from; I went with the darkest: Bombay Black

kitchen transformation for under 400

I was definitely in love with the finished product. The kit was $80 and the tape and plastic drop cloths only ran me another $5.

kitchen transformation for under 400

As much as I loved my new counters, this floor stole me heart. These are peel and stick vinyl tiles. I went right over the existing vinyl floor. They were on sale for $10 a box and each box was 10 square feet. The tiles are 6" x 24" and I bought 18 boxes.

kitchen transformation for under 400

Aren't they gorgeous? It took about 10 hours to get the floor down, but someone with more experience could probably knock it out much faster.

kitchen transformation for under 400

Complete transformation.

kitchen transformation for under 400

• Rustoleum chalked paint  (Walmart)
  • Giani countertop paint kit  (Walmart)
  • Vinyl Floor Tiles  (Walmart.com)

• Wendy

From top to bottom- your kitchen looks great!!

It looks amazing! Bright, fresh, and new. Great job.